1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

MXR 5150 vs. Friedman Brown Eye overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KeyGuy, Sep 27, 2016.

1. voss451

voss451 Member

I've read several times in different reviews that the BE-OD, JHS Angry Charlie and JHS AT (also known as the "@" pedal) are all kind of similar.

2. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

Angry Charlie is always a valid option, but to me is more vintage sounding than the mxr, they are different...for modern metal the 5150 is better, i dont have the Friedman so i cant talk on that one.
    so if the Friedman and the Angry Charlie are similar then the MXR and the BE-OD are different

3. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

Ah, gotcha. The Angry Charlie and the @ are both voiced a little more vintage-sounding than the BE-OD. The @ is like an AC with a little more gain and a more open voicing. The BE-OD more effortlessly nails the mid-80s Marshall tone, but any of the three could be used if dialed in right. The 5150 is definitely voiced more favorably to modern metal than the others.

4. philamag87

philamag87 Member

Any thoughts on the Palladium vs the BE-OD? I was thinking about the 5150 but from the demos I've heard it hasn't done much for me. I'm not playing any VH but I'm looking for a distortion pedal that's versatile to replace my DS-1 that I've modded numerous times.

5. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

They aren't.

6. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

So in a thread asking about the BE-OD vs the 5150, we have a bunch of people who never played either debating their merits based on YouTube videos. Very helpful.

Bentayuk, TCMx3 and chirills like this.
  7. voss451

voss451 Member

It was here on TGP that I read that. A few people that own the JHS pedals bought the Friedman and said that although the BE-OD has more gain, there are similarities between them. I wasn't meaning that they're all identical, it's just that the 3 of them are considered to be a bit "Marshall-y" sounding. That and I do have the MXR5150 and from everything I've heard (actual recordings, not just Youtube videos), the BE-OD has a lot more midrange going on than the MXR does.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  8. voss451

voss451 Member

I think the lines are getting a bit blurred with this one. Although EVH did create his signature tone with a Marshall head and a Variac hooked up to it, the pedal is based on the "blue" channel of his signature 5151 III head. So yeah, technically it is kinda based on a Marshall but it's a few evolutions away from that (the first being the Peavey 5150,the 5150 II and subsequently the re-designed 5150III with Fender).

9. voss451

voss451 Member

I'd love to try a Palladium out but the only way I'd be able to is to get the local store to order one in and that would mean making a non-refundable deposit because if they're gonna order it, they fully expect you to buy it. If it turns out you don't & want to return it, they're gonna spank you for it.

10. voss451

voss451 Member

The only stores I've found that sell them (aside from the local store) are in the US and I'd be paying easily $50-$60 on duty and import fees that the stores aren't responsible for. That's why whenever I go to get something online, I'm 100% sure that I want to get it. In all the years that I've bought stuff online, I don't think I returned anything once. The local shop on the other hand, I return stuff there all the time... :)

That being said though, given all the pedals that I already have and add to that that I'm strictly an "at home" player, $400 is way too much for just a distortion pedal. Both the Empress Heavy and Amptweaker Pro pedals hit the $400 mark up here as well. If I were doing some serious recording or even playing out live, I could probably justify it but that's a pretty hefty price tag for something I'll just be futzing around with in my 'music room'. The AMT pedals are more my speed, they go for around $225(ish) which isn't so bad, considering how much run of the mill Boss & MXR pedals cost around here.

11. VinnieM

VinnieM Member

Hi Fellas,

I've done a comparison that might help you. Very impressed with the MXR 5150 Overdrive. Plenty of gain that works nicely from low to high gain. Very tight bottom end. Probably one of the best choices out there for an amp like pedal, especially for the higher gain guys.

Lution and IRG like this.
  12. drod1985

drod1985 Member

I got the MXR 5150 OD as a gift and I'm pretty happy with it. I have a 5150iii head but use the MXR pedal when I'm playing through house amps at my main venue. The 3-band EQ is what really makes this pedal work well with a variety of amps. I've played it through a Jackson Britain, an AC30, a Badcat, a Rockerverb and a Dr. Z Rx. I do wish that it had some lower gain tones available, I don't understand why anybody would need to turn the gain up much past noon.

What I'd really like to see is a shootout between the MXR 5150, the BE-OD and the new Wampler Pinnacle V2. The Pinnacle's feature set is incredible, the BE-OD is the most compact, and the MXR has the super useful noise gate. Great options for VH or hot rodded Marshall style tones.

KeyGuy and VinnieM like this.
  13. IRG

IRG Member

I haven't paid much attention to the MXR5150 until now. I like it's feature set, and having a 3 band EQ is a nice bonus. Plus a noise gate is a good idea. It wasn't until I demo'd an Empress Heavy, that I really appreciated the noise gate feature.

I've been thinking about adding a higher gain OD/Distortion lately. The 5150 is in the mix now. The Friedman BE-OD had been in there too, but I want the ability to control the mids some. I have an OCD 1.7 now. I like it, but wish I could control the mids. Some people view the OCD is mid scooped, but I disagree. It is pretty mid-neutral really, and will take on your amp's character in this way. My amp has a bit of a mid-enhanced tone to it, and I tend to scoop the mids on it, just to make it more mid neutral. And the boost feature on my amp lifts the mids even more. So not having the ability to control the mids on the OCD and Friedman is a drawback. I will likely keep the OCD, but run the gain fairly low, and make it more of a blues-based pedal for me, which it works very well.

The ThorpyFX Warthog is another competitor for me, but different tonally that anything here. But given the wonderful Muffroom pedal that I have, I might give Thorpy another look here too.

14. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I didn't care for the 5150 OD when I had it, I have the BE-OD and to my ears the BE-OD is a better pedal.

15. IRG

IRG Member

Define "better". Or is it your preference? Not to be argumentative, just curious how one is better over the other, and what it is exactly that lead you to this conclusion.

16. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Definitely more my Preference I like the feel and tone of the BE-OD so in my hands its a better pedal

17. IRG

IRG Member

Totally get that, thanks.

18. KeyGuy

KeyGuy Member

Cool to see that the discussion was still going on here until recently.

Yes, I want to see this shoot-out too!... and maybe the palladium too.

19. clapointe1

clapointe1 Member

Plus 1 on the MXR 5150 , great pedal !

20. mikef09

mikef09 Member

I've owned both, the 5150 is a much better pedal IMHO. Much more flexible in the EQ section alone with the mids knob and the noise gate is amazing. The BE-OD just didn't do it for me, much too scooped sounding and pedal-like. The 5150 actually sounded like the real thing at band volumes.

kingbee likes this.