1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

MXR 5150 vs. Friedman Brown Eye overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KeyGuy, Sep 27, 2016.

1. jaime136

jaime136 Supporting Member

I had the 5150 for a good while. The eq is much more flexible than the brown eye, imo. The noise gate works great, as well. The mid eq didn't have a huge sweep, but definitely usable.
    The Empess Heavy is my go to high gainer. I wound up with a Mad Professor 1 as a lower gain option. I like it much better for the VH thing. It's cheaper than the 5150 and BE, too.

Bentayuk likes this.
  2. KeyGuy

KeyGuy Member

It's 2017 and I STILL haven't picked either of them up yet.

The verdict seems to be really split here, and so is my opinion. From what I could gather I think the BE-OD sounded like it has slightly less mushy top end, which I like, but then I have heard different clips where it's no problem (probably mostly to do with the cab). Choices, choices...

3. SAMO

SAMO Supporting Member

For high gain distortion needs I've been through the Suhr Riot Re-loaded, Amp Tweaker Big Rock Pro, Bogner Burnley, Bogner Red, Friedman BE-OD, & the 5150. My favourite is the 5150 with the Friedman a close second.The 5150 edged out the Friedman with the three band eq and noise gate.

4. Renardm

Renardm Member

I think Friedman is coming out with a new/deluxe version of the BE-OD and it will have a mids knob!

5. SAMO

SAMO Supporting Member

Yes, and the new Friedman will have two channels, still no noise gate though.

6. xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx Member

i have the BE-OD but i use it for progressive type metal/deathmetal and it works well for it. gotta have a noise gate with this pedal tho honestly its noisey bugger

7. G34RSLU7

G34RSLU7 Member

how does it feel for leads though, is it dynamic and chewy like the pinnacle?