MXR '74 Reissue Phase question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mesagib, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Mesagib

Mesagib Member

Is this pedal a limited run or something? I've only seen it on a couple of websites, and it's not even listed on the Dunlop website (custom shop or otherwise). Do you eventually think we'll see it popping up in MF or GC?
    Thanks.

2. JVania

JVania Member

3. Mesagib

Mesagib Member

Thanks for your reply. Do you think these pedals will still be available months down the road?
    Thanks

4. Mesagib

Mesagib Member

That's what I was curious about. It seems like they're pretty limited, atleast for now. I'd like to try one out before I decide to buy, I really wish dunlop would put up some clips like the other pedals. It didn't take them long to put up the carbon copy.

5. stuey222

stuey222 Member

Are you talking about the Script RI Phase 90? I have that, and it sound very good. Much better than the Block Phase 90, and it distorts less too.

6. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

No. The 1974 is a different ped than the standard script RI.

Right fellows?

7. somedude

somedude Member

I'd buy it just for the ability to true bypass it without having to cut up the PCB.....

8. stuey222

stuey222 Member

That's pretty sweet for only being $20 more. I knew the Phase 90 Script was all PCB. Just a little misunderstanding on my part.

9. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

So, to be clear, the '74 is not TB AND has the classic volume drop?

Just checking ont these points, as I just pulled the trigger yesterday on an HBE Psilocybe because of these two points. Since I don't need a phase a lot, it's gotta be TB to stay out of my way - that's a deal breaker for me.

But the 74 was considered, as it's supposed to sound pretty good.

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks for the insight Croakus. I've hear that the HBE phaser is pretty awesome and can cop a lot of different phase effects. I am looking forward to it.

11. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

The big issue for me when modding pedals for true bypass is this:

The bypassed signal of a non-true bypass pedal will almost always get slightly louder when modded for true bypass (no circuitry anymore to suck tone).

Therefore the wet signal of the now true bypass pedal will be slightly lower than the bypassed signal; assuming of course that there was unity output before the mod.

If nothing is done to address this when doing a true bypass mod, you can end up with the dreaded "volume drop" when engaging the wet signal.

Analog Mike addresses this I'm pretty sure as he actually offers mods to address specifically that: volume drop - Like with the Maxon AD-9 analog delay.

I guess my question is: after performing the True Bypass mod on the 74 Phase 90, I would imagine that the bypassed signal would HAVE to get slightly louder (thereby creating a volume drop when turning the pedal on).

Is this the case? Anyone who has had the mod wanna respond? $185 is a sizable amount of cash to spend to void a warranty only to find out that the volume drop is indeed the case. Thanks!

:D