MXR '74 Reissue Phase question

Mesagib

Is this pedal a limited run or something? I've only seen it on a couple of websites, and it's not even listed on the Dunlop website (custom shop or otherwise). Do you eventually think we'll see it popping up in MF or GC?
Thanks.

Mesagib

Thanks for your reply. Do you think these pedals will still be available months down the road?
Thanks

Mesagib

Thank you for the compliment, that's really nice of you to say.
As I understand it, this is a standard item that they intend to manufacture for the foreseeable future.
However, it’s important to note that because there’s so much hand assembly done on these they’ve had a lot of trouble keeping up with demand. I don’t know if you’ll see these at the big retailers any time soon.
That's what I was curious about. It seems like they're pretty limited, atleast for now. I'd like to try one out before I decide to buy, I really wish dunlop would put up some clips like the other pedals. It didn't take them long to put up the carbon copy.

stuey222

Are you talking about the Script RI Phase 90? I have that, and it sound very good. Much better than the Block Phase 90, and it distorts less too.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Are you talking about the Script RI Phase 90? I have that, and it sound very good. Much better than the Block Phase 90, and it distorts less too.

No. The 1974 is a different ped than the standard script RI.

Right fellows?

somedude

I'd buy it just for the ability to true bypass it without having to cut up the PCB.....

stuey222

That's pretty sweet for only being $20 more. I knew the Phase 90 Script was all PCB. Just a little misunderstanding on my part.

BillyK

So, to be clear, the '74 is not TB AND has the classic volume drop?

Just checking ont these points, as I just pulled the trigger yesterday on an HBE Psilocybe because of these two points. Since I don't need a phase a lot, it's gotta be TB to stay out of my way - that's a deal breaker for me.

But the 74 was considered, as it's supposed to sound pretty good.

BillyK

Thanks for the insight Croakus. I've hear that the HBE phaser is pretty awesome and can cop a lot of different phase effects. I am looking forward to it.

Mac-P

Silver Supporting Member
The big issue for me when modding pedals for true bypass is this:

The bypassed signal of a non-true bypass pedal will almost always get slightly louder when modded for true bypass (no circuitry anymore to suck tone).

Therefore the wet signal of the now true bypass pedal will be slightly lower than the bypassed signal; assuming of course that there was unity output before the mod.

If nothing is done to address this when doing a true bypass mod, you can end up with the dreaded "volume drop" when engaging the wet signal.

Analog Mike addresses this I'm pretty sure as he actually offers mods to address specifically that: volume drop - Like with the Maxon AD-9 analog delay.

I guess my question is: after performing the True Bypass mod on the 74 Phase 90, I would imagine that the bypassed signal would HAVE to get slightly louder (thereby creating a volume drop when turning the pedal on).

Is this the case? Anyone who has had the mod wanna respond? $185 is a sizable amount of cash to spend to void a warranty only to find out that the volume drop is indeed the case. Thanks!

:D

Trending Topics