• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

MXR Analog Chorus - Versus - Analogman Chorus

Stratm69

In terms of tone and quality, how well does the MXR Analog Chorus stack up against the Analogman Chorus?

I understand that both are modeled differently and there will be differences between the two with sound.

But with the amount of features and adjustability, as well as sound quality, can the MXR Analog Chorus be a worthy opponent?

RickB

This might be useless to you since I have not played or owned an Analogman Chorus. However, I have the MXR Analog Chorus currently. I have owned a good number of chorus pedals over the years (Fulltone Choralflange, TC SCF, TC Corona, Redwitch Empress, Maxon Ambient, Small Clone, Boss, Hardwire, etc......). The MXR is fantastic. It is extremely versatile. I don't miss any of the others. I feel that I can get out of the MXR the things that I liked about the others. Then again, I like chorus to be subtle and to add some higher ended shimmer for lack of a better term. The MXR does it but can also be thick, dark, etc. For the price, it is hard to beat.

Never tried the analogman, but I've had:

Retro Sonic Chorus (silver)
Retro Sonic Chorus (dark gray)
Fulltone Choral Flange
EQD Sea Machine
Boss CE-2
Boss CE-3
Boss CH-1 analog
Boss CH-1 digital
Digitech CF-7
Roland JC-120H
lots of rack units
etc.

The MXR Analog Chorus is the one I'm using. It sounds truly outstanding. It's special.

jurfin

i am a huge fan of my black label chorus - which is the same circuit as the analog chorus. i stripped off that silly bullseye, and ive got a phenomenal chorus that cost me 60 bucks.

my only complaint is that it has an effect level knob, and not a mix knob. i wish it could go all the way wet for vibrato sounds, but whatever. it still does a great job with vibrato-ish stuff.

i have found the two tone cut controls to be enormously helpful in shaping the tone of the chorus. it does pretty much everything i could ask for from a chorus.

i have never played the analog man one. im sure someone will chime in for you!

I agree with Rick B. I'm sorry, I can't speak for the Analogman Chorus, but I have the MXR Black Label Chorus (Analog Chorus with different paint job) and I couldn't be happier with it. Got it brand new for 90 bucks. Hi and lo cuts work wonders with tone shaping. I have much more expensive pedals on my board, and this one definitely gave me the most bang for the buck.

But, as with anything else, if you've got your heart set on an Analogman, nothing is going to make you as happy as BUYING an Analogman! :) Happy searching!

Stratm69

This might be useless to you since I have not played or owned an Analogman Chorus. However, I have the MXR Analog Chorus currently. I have owned a good number of chorus pedals over the years (Fulltone Choralflange, TC SCF, TC Corona, Redwitch Empress, Maxon Ambient, Small Clone, Boss, Hardwire, etc......). The MXR is fantastic. It is extremely versatile. I don't miss any of the others. I feel that I can get out of the MXR the things that I liked about the others. Then again, I like chorus to be subtle and to add some higher ended shimmer for lack of a better term. The MXR does it but can also be thick, dark, etc. For the price, it is hard to beat.
This is great to read since I've considered a few of those as well. What I like is how simple the MXR seems, and that it has some EQ options which can come in handy when stacking with other effects. Plus it sounds good to my ears.

I once owned a Analogman Standard Chorus, a early one, and enjoyed it a lot. But they are getting expensive now...

I could kill two birds by getting the MXR Analog Chorus and Carbon Copy for the price of the Analogman Chorus and be equally happy.

The only thing I don't like with MXRs latest creations is the surface mount parts... But I kind of have to accept that its going to be the norm anymore with any pedal business someday.. I'm mainly a tone purist, but there's nothing wrong with mixing a little old with a little new.

wiltel24

I own the MXR analog chorus ( the baby blue one with the laser beam indicator light) too, and right out of the box it was great. Sold my 80's Boss CE-3 to finance it, since I never really bonded with the CE-3. It wasn't very versatile and lacked some depth sound wise.

Stratm69

This thread is very promising for the MXR so far!

I would love to hear any thoughts on Analogman users who have compared the two if possible!

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I owned the Black Label chorus for almost 4 years. I tried over 10 others, but not the AM chorus... The MXR is one if the best sounding IMHO. It does really subtle very well due to the level control. The M234 is the same unit as the BL and is only $99 new. You can't go wrong.

The only reason I sold mine is I downsized my board. I may add it again someday soon. Fwiw, you can get one with a discount from PGS for only $85 new!

jurfin

This is great to read since I've considered a few of those as well. What I like is how simple the MXR seems, and that it has some EQ options which can come in handy when stacking with other effects. Plus it sounds good to my ears.

I once owned a Analogman Standard Chorus, a early one, and enjoyed it a lot. But they are getting expensive now...

I could kill two birds by getting the MXR Analog Chorus and Carbon Copy for the price of the Analogman Chorus and be equally happy.

The only thing I don't like with MXRs latest creations is the surface mount parts... But I kind of have to accept that its going to be the norm anymore with any pedal business someday.. I'm mainly a tone purist, but there's nothing wrong with mixing a little old with a little new.
like i said - i have no experience with the analog man - and im sure it is a great product - but really - an awesome chorus -aaaand an awesome delay? it seems like a no brainer to me.

i guess the big thing is whether or not it achieves the sound(s) that you are looking for. it does everything i want from a chorus, and sounds great doing it.

also, FWIW, i took mine apart to strip the bullseye off the finish, and its a solid build. i understand that some things are not the best to surface mount, but i have had no problems. its a pretty sturdy little box of metal.

i am hoping someone with an analog man chorus will chime in! i really am curious to hear how they stack up.

also - not to derail the thread - but do you guys think someone out there could mod my level knob to be a mix knob? i dont know if this is feasible or not, but i would love to get totally wet vibrato sounds from my black label.

Jules-RM

Bump, have an Analogman and am wondering how they compare. Love my Micro Flanger and Bass Compressor (I use it on everything form guitars to vocals when recording).

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Former owner of the MXR Black Label, sold it only because I scaled back my board. I just dropped another pedal and have the newer M234 version on the way (same guts on the inside). It is one of the best budget chorus options out there. You can get a brand new one from PGS for $84.99 using the "pedal15" coupon code. No tax and free shipping. Mine will be here tomorrow.

I have never played the other, both the MXR is great IMHO.

katydid

Any Analogman Chorus users that had experience with the MXR care to chime in?
yes, I have owned both. To be clear, I've owned both the original 3-knob AC chorus, and the newer 5-knob 18v versions of teh MXR. The yellow ones.

The biggest difference is in the adjustable delay time, and in the stereo performance. The adjustable delay time on the MXR gives you a lot of control over the intensity of the effect. I think the AM has a 'deep' switch, which is probably a fixed delay time switch, but the knob on the MXR is more versatile.

Obviously, the treble and bass controls on the MXR give you more versatility as well.

The stereo performance of the MXR is about the best I've heard. It's absolutely HUGE. The AM was ok, but it didn't blow me away. I also found the AM to be noisier than the MXR, but that could be a function of 9v vs. 18v.

The MXR has a certain quality that no other chorus pedals have, in my experience. It's a thickness or 'chewiness' that's there even at subtle settings, and it really seems to work well with overdriven tones as well as clean ones.

This gives a pretty good idea of the range of the MXR:

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
I have the MXR and think it's the best I've used. (I had the Retro-Sonic 3 times...:crazy). Finally realized the MXR had the sound I liked better.

Sounds fantastic in chorus mode !!!

johnh

Hate to go against the flow, but I have the AM Bi Chorus, and was recentlynshopping around for a smaller chorus for my new small board. I tried several pedals in my local small, friendly music store. I was the only guitarist playing, and I had the whole afternoon to swap between different chorus pedals without any distractions.

The MXR chorus was the one I had my eye on - it seemed to tick all the boxes. However, it was really really disappointing compared to the AM. Against my CE5 it performed well, and I'm not saying it was a bad pedal, but it just didn't have any of the warmth or appeal that my Bi Chorus does.

By contrast, the Clone Chorus was also cheap, and had a lot of the warm, throbby goodness of the Bi Chorus, so if my GAS persists, it will be a Neo Clone which I go for.

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
Any Analogman Chorus users that had experience with the MXR care to chime in?
I used to own the Analogman and I have played the MXR at my local shop. The Analogman is thicker and has more of a throbier tone. The MXR has all the analog warmth but the chorus is more straight-foward and even sounding. The MXR is very similar to an older, analog Boss CE-5 that I have.

JDW3

I just tried a bunch and the eq of each pedal is a lot of what sets them apart.

I tried the MXR and wanted to love it, because it's cheap. I really didn't as you have to have the depth knob really cranked high for effect. It is very subtle.

AnalogMan mini- was really good. Edged out 5 other pedals. Very deep and toneful.

Cmatmods- was very good, but the eq is very bright/brittle. That I don't need.

TC Corona- lots of different sounds. Very toneful also but 3 chorus vibes at the same time would probably get lost in a band. A darker sounding pedal needing a bit more upper mids.

Keeley Sea Foam- great sound, very shimmering. eq is probably perfect for cutting through a band. Doesn't get very warbly though, if that's your thing. One of the best I've tried.

Malekko- the little box has a big sound. Maybe a little brittle, but nice and warbly at the same time. Didn't like the 9v adapter wanting to fall out, felt a little cheap.

Really hate to say it, but the Analogman mini beat them all today. But, it better for $225. For a box of transistors?

John 14:6

Get a CMATMODS analog chorus pedal. It beats any chorus pedal out there and I have owned a bunch of them over the years while trying to find the perfect chorus sound. I think they sell for $135 new. I have the two knob version and there is nothing bright or brittle about the sound.

Last edited:

deeohgee

also - not to derail the thread - but do you guys think someone out there could mod my level knob to be a mix knob? i dont know if this is feasible or not, but i would love to get totally wet vibrato sounds from my black label.
It can be done without modification. Just plug a patch lead into the "Thru" output and voila - vibrato! Make sure the level is all the way up or volume will drop.
Dime both the tone controls for full sounding vibrato, the Depth knob now functions as a blend control, dial it to about 9 o'clock for gorgeous subtle pitch modulation, the further clockwise you go the crazier it gets.
Back off the High knob and things get very Boards Of Canada, back of the Low know and it gets thin and lo-fi, very cool indeed.
Sounds awesome with a OD or Fuzz running in front of it, better to my ear than the straight Chorus sound.
I only came across this idea the other day, it's gone from being a great pedal to an amazing one.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom