MXR Berzerker Wylde OD vs Taiwan Boss SD-1

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dannyz, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Dannyz

Dannyz Member

i can score the Berzerker Od at the same price as an used Boss Sd-1 Taiwan (really cheap).

I have many dirt boxes (Ts808, Ts9, Rat, Plexitone, other DIY modded od´s) so i dont need/want buy both pedals.

Its the Berzerker Od a "better" pedal? Never tried an SD-1 or the Berzerker. The last one seems more rugged, has cooler look and better construction. The Boss can be modded to personal specs and reverse it anytime, which is cool too.

The purpose is to goose a JCM 800 style amp to "classic" high gain levels (think Guns n Roses, Ozzy, Dokken, Ratt, Bon Jovi, etc), but with a diferent flavour...more vowell-y and open than a classic Ts808/Ts9, also brighter, more cutting and tighter.

2. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Silver Supporting Member

I prefer the SD1. I have both, and I've used them both to boost my amps. They are very similar, the SD1 came out ahead by the smallest margin.

3. copperhead

copperhead Member

I did some similar comparisons ,between the ts9,sd-1 & the Wylde overdrive & with a marshall tone .I thought the wylde had more gain than the sd-1 & the ts9 .
    Also when using these pedals with the Gain cranked up on the Amp & the pedals gain cranked up (kind of the way Zakk Wylde uses it ) the wylde overdrive remained tighter .

4. Dannyz

Dannyz Member

Ill update this. Just got the Berzerker OD and works great! the thing is that ive found it a lot different compared to the Ts9-808, SUPER TRANSPARENT od!, even at high gain settings you get almost no low end suckage and nothing from that "boxy" Ts midrange that ive used to hear. The Level knob doesnt add too much volume boost, but if you work with the Gain pot, it adds gain and oomph to the tone. Past 70% it gets super noisy...hell i dont know how Zakk uses this Od with the 3 knobs kranked all the way! (maybe a noisegate?).

5. ungarn

ungarn Member

Glad to hear the Berzerker is working out.
    I would have said...spend the money...get a MIJ SD-1.
    It just works for pushing a Marshall according to my ears.
    Definitely better than a new SD-1, and the previous MXR Wylde OD.
    Have yet to try the newer Berzerker, but from you description sounds much more like a good SD-1.

Dannyz likes this.
  6. Dannyz

Dannyz Member

Thanks for the reply @ungarn !!! you´re right, its an improvement over the old Wylde Od, the "mini" rubber knobs are perfect and have a great grip and feel (your settings will be untouched even if you stomp around the switch area). Apparently, the Berzerker has more low end than the SD-1 and less boxyness. Here is a direct comparison between both pedals:

PD: There would be great to try a Japanese SD-1, or even better, an original OD-1 (the two knob, first Boss Od pedal) against the Berzerker OD.

7. Serenity

Serenity Member

I had the original Wylde OD and really liked it, excellent at boosting my Marshalls, and i prefered it to the SD-1. I might be wrong but i thought the Berzerker OD was the same pedal as the Wylde, just repackaged.