• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

MXR Carbon Copy - Bad switch, anyone?

foo_3001

I bought an MXR Carbon Copy about a week ago, and my first thought when I played it through my amp was that this pedal is too good to be true - fairly cheap and very, very good sounding.

Well last night it crapped out on me on a gig, when switched on there was no signal coming through it even though the on/off led worked properly. So it´s probably a bad switch.

Now, what I don´t understand is WHY oh WHY these pedal-making companies make such an effort in designing a fantastic pedal and then decide to ruin it with a cheap switch that lasts for a WEEK?! The switch even feels kindof loose, not a sturdy DPTD switch by any means. Shame on them.

Anyone else had a bad switch in their MXR pedals?

Last edited:

radioboy950

The inconsistencies make me stay stay away from the mass production pedals. Not that all are bad, of course, but I'd rather look to other sources. There are a few people putting out some great product at very reasonable prices. As an alternative, have you looked at Wampler's Analog Delay?

http://www.wamplerpedals.com/effect_pedals

(Sorry, I know this doesn't answer your question about a bad MXR switch)

jb1911

I had the same problem, the place I bought it from replaced the pedal with a new one and I've had no problem ... yet.

charmboy

First I've heard of this with the CC. Been stomping on my v.1 since they first came out with no problem (year or so now?). I'd say return it for another and you should be ok.

sstweed

Gold Supporting Member
I have had more switches fail on boutique gear than anything else. Switches are mechanical and a certain percentage fail early. There are no boutique switches, they are all mass produced regardless of whether the pedal they go into is mass produced or not.

Having said that, it sucks that it happened. The CC is a great pedal. Mine is usually on all night. And having dealt with dead switches a number of times in the past, I know what a drag it is. I'm just saying, don't blame MXR for this one. It just happens.

Last edited:

aziltz

I have had more switches fail on boutique gear than anything else. Switches are mechanical and a certain percentage fail early. There are no boutique switches, they are all mass produced regardless of whether the pedal they go into is mass produced or not.

Having said that, it sucks that it happened. The CC is a great pedal. Mine is usually on all night. And having dealt with dead switches a number of times in the past, I now what a drag it is. I'm just saying, don't blame MXR for this one. It just happens.

in all fairness, certain companies have great customer service to deal with things like this, regardless of the current state of your warranty. Voodoo Lab Switches have been known to go bad... My tremolo died on me, and I didnt have the warranty information and they fixed it and had it back through the mail within a week, all free of charge!

gatordoc

This phenomenon is by no means isolated to mass production pedals. There have been boutique makers who have also had switch problems over the years.

charmboy

in all fairness, certain companies have great customer service to deal with things like this, regardless of the current state of your warranty. Voodoo Lab Switches have been known to go bad... My tremolo died on me, and I didnt have the warranty information and they fixed it and had it back through the mail within a week, all free of charge!
From what I understand, MXR/Dunlop have surprisingly great customer service given their size. I suspect the retailer will take care of you on this but if not, I'm pretty certain MXR will.

cedjazz

No problem with the CC switch yet. I have had to return a Way Huge Fat Sandwich for a bad switch and ocasionally my 535Q won't engage on the first attempt so I'll be returning that one as well for repair.

foo_3001

Replaced the CC from the retailer - they´ve sold a ton of those pedals and my pedal was the first defective one they´d heard of..

We´ll see how this one will hold up! (Fingers crossed..)

axedoc2010

Sorry to bump an old thread. Just thought I'd add my two bits - my EVH Phaser pedal switch was faulty: the LED would come on fine but the pedal would mostly just put out a constant out of phase tone and sometimes put out a phase tone like it is supposed to. Anyway changed the switch and so far its working fine. Fingers crossed!

johann

had a CC for years, one day it just didn't work, called dunlop and they replaced for another, no questions, great costumer service

mesa/boogieman

I've had 2 MXR pedals crap out on me; the Wylde overdrive and the EVH Phaser. Fantastic sounding pedals but because of the defects I don't think I could buy one again.

Trending Topics