MXR Carbon Copy Delay Arrived!

So I got my 2 MXR Carbon Copy delays from Musictoyz today. They sound wonderful. For those of you who want a simple analog delay in a small package, this would my pick. Even over the Malekko 600 (though i've only tried the dark). The unit is among the quietest of analog delays i've heard. Holds up to dirt extremely well.

That said, I do have some complaints/concerns. The modulation is EXTREMELY subtle ... almost to the point where I thought mine was broken. Also the modulation does not get deeper when you increase the delay time like most modulated delays work. Anything past 300 ms and I can't hear the modulation at all. BUT! it is very musical sounding and subtle, but I was dissapointed.

If the modulation was better on this, it would replace my DMM no question, which is saying A LOT ... because I think my vintage DMM is the best sounding analog delay on the planet.

The 2 units do sound a bit different ... and the modulation is actually LESS deep on one of the 2. :eek:

But overall ... the pedal sounds absolutely wonderful.

Disaster Transport arrives tomorrow!

JJexp

Silver Supporting Member
thanks for that! Been waiting to hear about it. I'm still waiting for mine....

mfgobbi

Is the "true hardwire bypass" really true bypass or just the same as the other MXR tone suckers?

mfgobbi

Since it has modulation, try turning up the amp really loud (don´t play though), some non true-bypass effects will let some trace of the LFO (modulation oscilation) leak while in bypass. The other way to know is to simply look at the switch wiring... well, I am curious about it...

not sure ... really don't care if I don't notice right away ... and i'm pretty familiar with my tone.

i will on friday when school slows down.

this week is gnarly.

btw ... i think i'm returning these to musictoyz (at least one). i guess i'll wait until someone starts modding these for more intense modulation. :Spank

of course ... i'll sell them to people here, but you've gotta cover shipping/paypal fees, so that's up to you.

i'm gonna keep them through the weekend though, so i get more time with them.

Droptop

Silver Supporting Member
Deal...I'll buy one from you if you decide to unload them when the weekend is over. Let me know.

olejason

Thanks for the review. I'll probably snag one second hand. I do wish it had a nice noticeable chorus'd delay sound though.

SunnyRollins

Well, it sounds like this one's a winner...that mod complaint doesn't bother me at all, and the fact that if it weren't for that, Curehardy would have replaced his DMM says a lot!
I mean, the CC is half the price and half the size of the DMM!!!
Besides, MXR has a mystique that I like (besides being Dunlop)
sounds like a good deal to me...:rolleyes:

zenfreud

Silver Supporting Member
You're keeping us in suspense: did you try maxing out the trimmer that controls the modulation depth?

If the Carbon's mod effect is barely discernable, they dropped the ball, at least on v1.

Is the noise an issue over 300 ms?

zenfreud

Silver Supporting Member
You're keeping us in suspense: did you try maxing out the trimmer that controls the modulation depth? If the Carbon's mod effect is barely discernable, they dropped the ball, at least on v1.

Is the noise much of an issue over 300 ms?

yes, i've maxed the delay trimmers.

i've played some more with the pedals. still sounds great. modulation does sound good, but very subtle like i said before. the repeats remind me of the Diamond Memory Lane because the repeats go "lo-fi" quicker than the DMM. it is also darker than the DMM, but still a brighter analog delay IMO.

regarding all the people who were worried about the bypass. i set the thing into some wild oscillation, then turned the pedal off. ZERO BLEED! turned it back on, and the oscillation was still screaming.

it's an analog delay ... it has some noise attached to the repeats ... but no more than the Diamond Memory Lane, which many people find to be pretty quiet.

enjoy.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom