MXR Carbon Copy Delay Modulation Q...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by plunderpot, May 7, 2008.

1. plunderpot

plunderpot Supporting Member

I've been very interested in checking out the MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay. I'm a HUGE fan of modulation on the delays, with my favorite being the subtle vibrato of the Deluxe Memory Man or a good Echoplex. Is the modulation on the Carbon Copy more the chorus type, or the vibrato type? If it's chorus, does anyone have an idea if it would be possible/relatively easy to modify that to be vibrato?

Thanks so much folks! :BEER

All the best,

J

2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Its definetly more chorusy than vibrato. I know there is a mod (as decribed by Mr. Tripps) to intensify the modulation but I don't thin it will change the character of the modualtion. I cranked the trim pots on mine and really like what I'm hearing.

3. Bob V

Bob V Member

There's a little pitch shift together with the volume flutter, so maybe you'd consider it to be both types; even still it's just a very, very subtle "meow." I backed off the trim pots, then turned them back up until the modulation became noticeable.

4. plunderpot

Thanks FloridaSam and Bob V. Anyone else?

J

5. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Diggin' mine - I did the 'warranty obliteration' R7 mod that Tripps posted and... it's still a very weak modulation effect. Love the delay anyway.

6. kensmith

kensmith Member

Just curious if you have every tried a DD-20 Giga Delay. I love mine and the flexibility of setting and adjusting the rate and depth parameters in the modulation on chorus (and combined with analog, or other delay types) is VERY powerful for those who love modulation on your delay. If you don't have one, you can review the manual online to see capabilities :phones

7. plunderpot

Thanks kensmith. I did have a DD-20 at one point (along with the requisite DL-4), and for all around delay use have settled on the Nova Delay, and I LOVE it - it's perfect for what I'm doing. I have a Deluxe Memory Man that I'm using also - mainly for one kind of sound - and I thought/hoped I might be able to find that sound in the Carbon Copy delay and in doing so create a TON more space on my touring board.

I guess I'm really into the vibrato thing - between the Deluxe Memory Man and an EP-2 Echoplex I've been spoiled. :)

Thanks friends, :AOK

J

8. B Bent

B Bent Supporting Member

To be honest you don't hear much mod on the MXR. It is so weak i sold mine. I like more mod that it produces. It is a well know gripe with these boxes.

9. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

I don't hear a whole lot of difference with the mod switch on with mine, so I just leave it off. However, I still think it's a great delay. Small footprint and doesn't mess with my tone any. I sold my Echotap and kept the MXR.

10. jb1911

jb1911 Member

It's just the right amount of mod for my taste. I also have an Earthquaker Disaster Transport and after I get the modulation adjusted to my liking, it's the same as the CC. To each his own, I guess.

11. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

:cool:

12. B Bent

B Bent Supporting Member

I agree. To each his own. The MXR is a fine sounding delay, but i honestly could not hear the modulation. I'd like to try an Earthquaker!

13. strangec

strangec Supporting Member

Disappointed to hear the Carbon Copy has such weak modulation on the delays. Was looking to be a cool alternative to the Deluxe Memory Man, I still like the Diamond Memory Lane for delay with modualtion. Plus you get tap tempo and the option of using an expression pedal.