MXR Carbon Copy to replace Digital - do you love yours? How is it live?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 1973Marshall, Jun 18, 2012.

1. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

My DL4 is dead thread got little love lol.

Woke up Saturday morning to find my DL4 would not so much as turn on. I have trust issues with gear. Once it fails me for no reason I am scared to trust it live. I ran down to GC to try other things.

Tried a bunch of delays and the two winners were the TC Flashback and MXR Carbon Copy. While I liked all the options on the Flashback, I have come to learn that even in indie music I never use tap tempo or half of the 300 modelers and loopers etc. I just like a luscious full delay that fills the room even on that "Edge" styled stuff that arguably needs tap. The TC was a damn close second.

Bought the MXR, brought it home and can't seem to turn it off. It's lush. It feels like part of the sound not an after effect - if that makes sense. It's so rich. It goes from David Gilmour to indie arpeggios with ease. Let's me control the feel with my hands. It feels organic.

Am I just tripping? Overly excited? I know they are no big deal but why is this little guy blowing my mind? I feel the DL4 didn't have one setting that came close to this.

My friends have had it on their boards and recommended for years. I am late to this party but I had no reason to buy one. I have yet to gig with it so I wanted to know if anyone felt the same as I do?

If this what a CC does, I might just want to put 2 on my board lol. I don't wanna go out and spend tons, I tried a Strymon a while back and was blown away, the Eventide stuff looks nice too - but the CC has really knocked my socks off.

Thoughts?

30 day return is in effect.:munch

2. John Price

John Price Supporting Member

I like the Flashback delay over the Carbon Copy. For some of the artists that you mentioned the flashback really nails it. The tap tempo feature is a big downer on the flashback being that you have to step and strum and also mutes your signal....

If you can afford the Timeline then jump on that! I love mine...

3. JB6464

JB6464 Member

Get the Wampler Faux Tape Echo over the MXR CC , you will be glad you did.
    Every CC i've played sounded dark and the mix knob is not usable enough for me.
    I've had the older and newer versions of the CC and the FTE smokes it for $60.00 more.
    http://wamplerpedals.com/faux/tape-echo.html

4. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

Had 2 CCs one for slapback and one for med/long delays. I found at stage volumes the CC sounded too dark and yes, the mix knob wasn't that good. I now use a Dano BLT for slapback [bypassed] and a CMAT Mods Deeelay for Med/Long. That IS lush. Sorry all your responses so far have been negative.

5. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Nah, the negativity doesn't bother me. It's easy to get excited at home and then feel like a fool live. I'd rather hear real world experiences. This delay is cheap but after losing my DL4, I want something good that is road worthy and will do the job.

My pedal board stays static. I like roadworthy kit. I set it up and get to know my gear so I never have to think about it. This isn't a GAS thing, this is a get it done with no hassle, player's thing.

6. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

Love my CC - been using it for a couple of years now. It's a lovely little analog delay. I beat the crap out of it too.

Has a nice wash to it. First time i played one, i bought it that day. Continually use it. Self oscillation is beautiful. I use that in a song where i kick it on and off all the time, and slam it hard. Has yet to fail me.

7. iama

iama Member

I love my CC and it's not leaving the board. I also have the Flashback, which compliments the CC perfectly. They are both different, so it's not one over the other. Truly the best of both worlds in a real world setting. Both for relatively cheap.

8. 909one

909one Member

I love my Carbon Copy as well. I love how the repeats are dark, because they never get in the way. Its great because of the lack of tap-tempo, if the repeats are out of time in a song, its not really that obvious, they just add a texture. I would love to have another one of these, one set for short slap delay and another for long delays.

9. cam.man67

cam.man67 Member

10. Steve73

Steve73 Member

In that price range, the CC is the best analog delay I've tried. Pair it with an old Boss DD2 or DD3 (big chip) and you are set!

11. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

I picked up a CC retail a couple of weeks ago and gigged with it on Saturday night. It was a cramped set up for a rather large house party. My mission was to leave all my 2 tandem pedalboards at home and go Spartan. My CC was my only 'ear candy' effect aside from amp reverb.
    Dialing up the mod width and dialing down the mod speed, it doubled as a 'stay out of the way' mild chorus when needed. We even had a free jam moment that I 'played' the oscillation by tuning it to a note or rhythm. Great fun! (but you can only do that once in a night's performance).
    My M9 security blanket stayed in my trunk just in case I needed to go back to it for all the delays. Didn't happen.
    Digital delays are great and now I know analog echoes are great, too. For bigger scale gigs, I fully intend to have both on my board. There's nothing like the precision of digital/modeled delays but analog echo is something very special indeed. The CC works for me. YMMV.

12. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

i have the Flashback and the Carbon Copy
    they're both really good
    CC is just solid, no frills though

13. Martyk

Martyk Member

Love my CC, never have to worry about dialing it in exactly right, it just always sounds good. Plus, with a foot grab I can go from slap to long washes of delay, and I don't have to mess with the mix or repeats at all. I think it's very forgiving that way. I've had about 4-5 other delays, and this CC kicked my ARDX20 off my board, saved me space, too.

14. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

The Carbon Copy is the ONLY delay pedal I've gotten rid of, that I still actually miss. My Timeline has more than sufficed for everything else.

And I've tried and no longer have (or miss):
    DL4
    DD20
    Nova Repeater
    Nova Delay
    AD999
    Flashback
    Superdelay
    VM Superdelay
    Echo Park
    AD9

As much as I love my DE7, the Timeline can MOSTLY cover all of the things I love about it (except for that elusive 2nd repeat sound)... But I still can't seem to quite capture the magic that made me love the CC so much.

15. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

Got 2 Carbon Copy pedals and a Nova Repeater. I've stopped looking at delays.

16. tnt365

tnt365 Member

I Like the Memory Toy more than the CC. I like the CC more than the Flashback. I think all three are great, just personal taste.

17. Risewithfaith

Risewithfaith Member

I also use the memory toy. Once I opened it up and dialed down the modulation, it sounds beautiful. It goes really well with my Timeline, and beat out the CC when I did a side by side comparison.

18. corbs

corbs Supporting Member

If you find the cc sounds too dark on stage, run it at 12V as it makes the repeats more pronounced.

19. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Glad you found a replacement that you like :). The CC is a great delay -- got one on my at home board. I had it on my main board for years but as I was running out of room, it sadly was one of the first pedals considered to be taken off. I also was able to get pretty close to that sound with my DD-20 with the tone rolled back on the Analog Delay setting.

The CC is great nonetheless. The darkness and warmth of the repeats really add another dimension to your dry sound. Plus you get anything from a light modulation to a really heavy/warble-y modulation on it. Obviously, you can't get the same amount of functionality as some other delays (i.e. Flashback, DL-4, etc.) but if you know what you're using it for and this does the trick, no point in overdoing it and having a bigger delay that you'll only use 1 of its functions for. The CC used to have some reliability issues but I think Dunlop has replaced the entire inventory..haven't seen/heard any threads of the pedal crapping out lately. But even if it does, Dunlop will replace it for free, with or without warranty.

20. JB6464

JB6464 Member

Is it safe to do that at all times without eventually going bad?