MXR Carbon Copy vs MXR Analog Delay (vintage)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kingnimrod, Apr 3, 2008.

1. kingnimrod

kingnimrod Member

I have one of the old 70s MXR analog delays (big green box with the power cord) and am wondering if I should sell it and pick up the new MXR carbon copy.

The old ones are fetching $250-300 on ebay, so it's tempting to sell it and replace it with another delay and pocket the rest.

Has anyone used both of these delays? How do they compare quality-wise. I know the delay time on the old one is shorter than the carbon copy.

Also, this is not my only delay unit. I also have a Tokai TDL-1, Boss DD-5, Boss DD-20, Deluxe Memory Man, and Digitech rack Time Machine.

So I'm just trying to figure out if the carbon copy will give as good or better sound compared to the vintage model...

2. thezeng

thezeng Member

i wouldnt sell it. pick up the CC and then maybe you could think about selling, but i still wouldnt.

3. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

The Carbon Copy is cool, a great-sounding little analog delay--and it's a great value. But I'm not sure it has the mojo of your old unit. I wouldn't sell it. The CC is not unreasonable to have as a back-up or more dependable touring unit, but I'd hang onto your original.

4. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Sell it now before it breaks! :)

Seriously, I'm kind of bitter in that I recently had my vintage MXR Analog Delay repaired (Regen knob stopped working). Now there's another problem! Continuous hum, regulated by the Mix knob. I'm not hard on my stuff and this latest problem just simply happened. Plugged it in one day and hummmmm.

I have mine on the Emporium for cheap in case someone wants to take a shot at fixing it (probably not cheap enough as it hasn't sold). I'm debating getting it fixed again or just junking it and getting a Carbon Copy. Or just doing nothing as I don't use delay much anyway...

Good luck,
    - jeff -

5. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

I haven't heard the vintage MXR in a few years, but I remember the repeats on it were fairly dark- even muddy at times. the carbon copy is on the brighter end of analog delay repeat tones. but the decay on the CC is gorgeous.

as I was reflecting, I am remembering that I played the vintage MXR side by side with a DOD FX96 analog delay. I can't remember which one was the which- it was probably good 3 and half years ago (fall 04 I'm thinking...)

completely different vibe from the repeats is my guess, but like I said... its been awhile...

6. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I'm running the CC into the DD-20. Best of both worlds. The CC is one of the nicest analog delay pedals I've ever experienced (DM-2, DM-3, AD-99, AD-80, AD-9).

7. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

I have never been a delay guy in my life,but I played a CC at Guitarcenter the other day & 20 minutes later walked out with it.
    Great pedal for a great price.
    I havnt played the old one in years,but it is scheduled for reissue.