MXR CC vs. Boss DM-2 vs. Ibanez AD-9

joshbaezmusic

Hello my fellow gearheads,
As the title says.. I'm looking for an analog delay pedal. So which do you prefer and WHY? Or, should I just save up to get an EHX Memory Man? Thoughts please!

-j.

in_sherman

i've owned cc, ri ibanez ad-9, and currently own maxon ad-9 and ad-9 pro.

cc is ok for the low used price, love the modulation but the repeats are a bit "thumpy" and less nice atmospheric decay than other analog delays. i was disappointed by the quality of the ibanez reissue. it wasn't particularly pleasing to the ears. for about the same price i paid for it new, i got both maxon ad-9 and ad-9 pro used ($140-150 emporium). they're both really nice, pretty dark but stunning especially when run at the same time or with chorus. it's always a pleasure to play them. ibanez/maxon ad-80 originals are supposed to be really awesome too. good luck, fun pedals

SUPROficial

the repeats are a bit "thumpy" and less nice atmospheric decay than other analog delays.
This was my experience as well.

The DM-2 is hard to beat for the "repeats melting into themselves" effect, and the dry signal never seems overwhelmed. I bought mine second-hand 20 years ago and the only analog delay I like more is my Arion SAD-1.
The Boss DM-3 is a good choice as well.

My computer speakers are pretty awful, so I'm not hearing a lot of detail here, but this might be useful to you?

tonewave

i have dm2 and its great
also have an Ibanez ad-80, slightly more watery than the dm2

both only go to 300 or so ms,
if thats enough for you thats cool
if you need more ms then DMM or diamond ML2 can get you there

NB_Terry

The DM-2 is great for a reverby type slap back.

I'm not a fan of the Ibanez Analog delay pedals that I've tried.

The CC was never a pedal I liked.

joshbaezmusic

i have dm2 and its great
also have an Ibanez ad-80, slightly more watery than the dm2

both only go to 300 or so ms,
if thats enough for you thats cool
if you need more ms then DMM or diamond ML2 can get you there
Yeah, I currently have the CC and I'm looking to change it for something else. How does the Ibanez AD-80 compare to the DM-2?

joshbaezmusic

The DM-2 is hard to beat for the "repeats melting into themselves" effect, and the dry signal never seems overwhelmed. I bought mine second-hand 20 years ago and the only analog delay I like more is my Arion SAD-1.

My computer speakers are pretty awful, so I'm not hearing a lot of detail here, but this might be useful to you?
How does the Arion SAD-1 compare to the DM-2?

reddog112

Silver Supporting Member
Owned all three...DM-2 was my favorite. I had the Keeley AD-9 which was a bit dark, but had that cool oscillation feature. I liked the CC too, also dark

reddog112

Silver Supporting Member

Video is ironic, I kept the DD-2 out of the three. I might try another DM-2 or a Montevillian Delay next

Veritas

Silver Supporting Member
Old school thread is alive!

I've owned the CC, DM-2 , AD-9 and a Keeley modded AD-9. My favorite was the DM-2. I had one with the MN3005 chip and it sounded unreal. They are all great pedals, but the DM-2 just had something special.

SackvilleDan

I've owned the Ibanez AD-9 (reissue) and the Carbon Copy, and have played a DM-2W and the Carbon Copy Bright as well.

The AD-9 was way too dark for me, but the oscillation was great. CC was brighter so I liked it more for slapback and longer delays, but I can see why some people would like the AD-9 for not being as in-your-face.

The CC Bright was great, I liked it a lot for slapback and short echoes as well. Both CCs oscillate way too easy in my mind, and are not as musical to play with.

DM-2w was probably my favorite even though my experience with it was very brief. It was very musical, stayed somewhat bright but didn't get in the way of my original signal. A very atmospheric pedal, if you will. I have only heard awesome things about the original DM-2 as well, but I've never played one.

Abram4235

Supporting Member
I stand behind my '81 ad80. I'd like to try the dm2w at some point for longer repeats. the ad80 is nice and crisp for slap back. it really stands out and sounds beautiful on longer repeat times as well. it has its quirks but nothing beats the tone. simply stunning.

voorhiessa

I got my 3rd AD9 a couple of weeks ago. I can tell that the internal trims have been messed with (longer delay time, oscillates), which makes the already dark signal degrade even more. Anyway, it's great for that reverb-ish type delay, but id like to compare it to a dm2

Trending Topics