MXR CC vs. Boss DM-2 vs. Ibanez AD-9

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joshbaezmusic, Jan 29, 2012.

1. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

Hello my fellow gearheads,
    As the title says.. I'm looking for an analog delay pedal. So which do you prefer and WHY? Or, should I just save up to get an EHX Memory Man? Thoughts please!

-j.

2. in_sherman

in_sherman Member

i've owned cc, ri ibanez ad-9, and currently own maxon ad-9 and ad-9 pro.

cc is ok for the low used price, love the modulation but the repeats are a bit "thumpy" and less nice atmospheric decay than other analog delays. i was disappointed by the quality of the ibanez reissue. it wasn't particularly pleasing to the ears. for about the same price i paid for it new, i got both maxon ad-9 and ad-9 pro used ($140-150 emporium). they're both really nice, pretty dark but stunning especially when run at the same time or with chorus. it's always a pleasure to play them. ibanez/maxon ad-80 originals are supposed to be really awesome too. good luck, fun pedals

3. SUPROficial

SUPROficial Member

This was my experience as well.

The DM-2 is hard to beat for the "repeats melting into themselves" effect, and the dry signal never seems overwhelmed. I bought mine second-hand 20 years ago and the only analog delay I like more is my Arion SAD-1.
    The Boss DM-3 is a good choice as well.

My computer speakers are pretty awful, so I'm not hearing a lot of detail here, but this might be useful to you?

4. tonewave

tonewave Member

i have dm2 and its great
    also have an Ibanez ad-80, slightly more watery than the dm2

both only go to 300 or so ms,
    if thats enough for you thats cool
    if you need more ms then DMM or diamond ML2 can get you there

5. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

The DM-2 is great for a reverby type slap back.

I'm not a fan of the Ibanez Analog delay pedals that I've tried.

The CC was never a pedal I liked.

6. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

Yeah, I currently have the CC and I'm looking to change it for something else. How does the Ibanez AD-80 compare to the DM-2?

7. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

How does the Arion SAD-1 compare to the DM-2?

8. SUPROficial

SUPROficial Member

The SAD-1 has a less soupy first repeat and is a bit brighter overall, but not as much as a DM-3.

9. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

Anyone compare the Arion SAD-1 to the Ibanez AD-80? Preference?

10. reddog112

reddog112 Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Owned all three...DM-2 was my favorite. I had the Keeley AD-9 which was a bit dark, but had that cool oscillation feature. I liked the CC too, also dark

11. reddog112

reddog112 Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Video is ironic, I kept the DD-2 out of the three. I might try another DM-2 or a Montevillian Delay next

12. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

Bump
    Which do you like out of these "darker" delays

13. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

Old school thread is alive!

I've owned the CC, DM-2 , AD-9 and a Keeley modded AD-9. My favorite was the DM-2. I had one with the MN3005 chip and it sounded unreal. They are all great pedals, but the DM-2 just had something special.

14. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

I've owned the Ibanez AD-9 (reissue) and the Carbon Copy, and have played a DM-2W and the Carbon Copy Bright as well.

The AD-9 was way too dark for me, but the oscillation was great. CC was brighter so I liked it more for slapback and longer delays, but I can see why some people would like the AD-9 for not being as in-your-face.

The CC Bright was great, I liked it a lot for slapback and short echoes as well. Both CCs oscillate way too easy in my mind, and are not as musical to play with.

DM-2w was probably my favorite even though my experience with it was very brief. It was very musical, stayed somewhat bright but didn't get in the way of my original signal. A very atmospheric pedal, if you will. I have only heard awesome things about the original DM-2 as well, but I've never played one.

15. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

DM-2(w) by far. The CC never impressed me. At all.

Kestrel likes this.
  16. Kestrel

Kestrel Member

The DM-2 is fantastic, but the DM-2w takes it to a whole other level.

17. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

I stand behind my '81 ad80. I'd like to try the dm2w at some point for longer repeats. the ad80 is nice and crisp for slap back. it really stands out and sounds beautiful on longer repeat times as well. it has its quirks but nothing beats the tone. simply stunning.

18. Stephans

Stephans Member

First the AD9, then the DM2, at last the CC

19. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

I got my 3rd AD9 a couple of weeks ago. I can tell that the internal trims have been messed with (longer delay time, oscillates), which makes the already dark signal degrade even more. Anyway, it's great for that reverb-ish type delay, but id like to compare it to a dm2