MXR Chorus..es...?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Paul Conway, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Hi

Rumour has it the ZW chorus is electronically identical to the MXR Analog Chorus...can anyone confirm?

Seems a bit strange if that's the case...but at least the ZW often goes for less...

2. Bakachan

Bakachan Member

Ain't no rumor :

3. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

4. Wolf Child

Wolf Child Member

I was just looking at youtube clips of both of these today.

I need an analog chorus that works well with distortion.

If you get one, give us (me) a review :wave

5. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Same circuit...different enclosures, MXR just realized some folks hate sig pedals. LOL

My ZW BL chorus has been on my board for almost 2 years. It's the best I've tried after checking out about 10 different chorus pedals. I love the EQ and the level control... both of which are key when using an analog chorus with dirt.

6. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

How do you set the EQ and level?

7. Harvesterofsorrow

Harvesterofsorrow Member

i tried all the mxr chorus pedals, none of them sounded as good as my boss ce-2, the closest one was the micro chorus

8. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

I agree, The Micro Chorus has it pretty well done for a one knob job.

9. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

They're cut knobs... I've got the low set flat and the high is at 3 o'clock cutting just a bit of the high end. I have the level and depth relatively low around 10/11 o'clock each, so the chorus is very subtle.. just thickening the sound a bit. Sounds great to me when I use it, which is sparingly but I still feel I need to have it on my board.

10. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

Interesting how different the Micro Chorus is from the Zakk / Analog Chorus in sound. The Micro Chorus is a great chorus for clean sounds, but I hate it with distortion. The Zakk one seems to work much better with dirt, but to my ears is lifeless when used clean. I bought the Micro Chorus, but a friend who plays mostly metal has the Zakk, so I've played through it a few times. Just not my thing.

11. Harvesterofsorrow

Harvesterofsorrow Member

thats why i love my boss ce-2 so much, its great clean and dirty and nothing else sounds as rich.
    i found the black label chorus sounded sterile and lifeless and the micro sounded great clean but as you mentioned not so great with distorted tones. and imho both are better then the older mxr stereo chorus

12. King Rat

King Rat Member

13. Speeddemon

Speeddemon Member

Tough choice;
    my MIJ (long-dash) CE-2 bit the dust recently, after being unluckily stored in a case with too much moisture; at this point I'm not sure if it can be repaired or not.
    For the moment I'm using an old Ibanez BC-9, but it doesn't have the thickness and sort of juicy sluggishness of the CE-2.
    The thing is, I play 70's/80's hard rock and metal with it, so I would need it to sound good clean (think "Here I go Again"'s intro from Whitesnake), as well as dirty (Priest's "You've got another thing comin'" or Ozzy's "Bark at the moon").

For practical reasons (availability, age (it's pretty new), BBD-equipped, ruggedness) I was looking at the MXR Analog Chorus (don't care for the ZW BLS graphics). I don't mind subtle, as I enjoyed the DOD FX-60 as well, but given the lack of roadworthyness of the FX-60's footswitch, I wouldn't put that on my little board.
    The ones that I didn't care for as much were the Boss CH-1 (way too sterile), CE-5 (a bit too flangy/metallic, even after EQ-ing), Ibanez CS-9 (the original; too metallic) or the Ibanez Tonelok CF-7 (too sterile ánd metallic, although the actual Flanger setting can be fun).
    How would the Analog Chorus compare to those?

14. Sancho

Sancho Member

I bought the ZW chorus because the Analog Chorus wasn't available yet.
    It's a great pedal that works just as well for clean and distorted sounds, without having to alter the level/mix. Highly recommended.

I've had both the CH1 and CE5 and hated both with a vengeance. Artificial sounding, and I could hear the internal clock ticking through my amp...

I had the MicroChorus first but, like MartinCliffe, I didn't like it with distortion.

15. flotsam71

flotsam71 Member

I love the micro chorus...but only in front of my jcm2000....in the loop it is way too over bearing...thanks

16. fl00dsm0k3

fl00dsm0k3 Member

i use the black label chorus for clean and distortion but mostly distortion and it works perfectly for me

17. papersoul

papersoul Member

I have the MXR Analog chorus, identical to the Zakk and it does anything!!!!

18. Classic09

Classic09 Member

Nothing to add that hasn't already been said. The MXR guys came out and said the two pedals were the same but they recognised not everyone would want a ZW branded pedal.

FWIW both Slash and EVH use the generic branded variety in their rigs.

19. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

The Micro Chorus is surprisingly great for a one knobber, love mine.

20. papersoul

papersoul Member

Huh??? I have owned different versions of the CE2. I started playing in the mid 80s, and through the years, owned a few different years of the CE2.
    There are plenty of chorus pedals that are a huge improvement over the CE2. Not sure why so many people have this love affair with the CE2, that doesn't allow them to see what is out there. There are plenty of mass produced choruses and boutique chorus pedals that I find are a nice improvement over the Boss. I would take my MXR Analog Chorus any day over the CE2. Richer and warmer to my ears. Plenty out there even better.many vastly improved choruses out there over the Boss. :)