MXR Custom Audio Electronics Boost Line Driver Pedal... volume boost for solos?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Yer Blues, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I run a pretty "small" board.... tuner, wah, Barber Direct Drive, Nobels OD-R, Corona Chorus, Deep Blue Delay. Amp is set to edge of breakup and I backup for clean sounds usually adding some slight chorus. I'm really happy with the Direct Drive and it's been on my board longer than any other pedal. There are times where I need the Direct Drive on for the majority of songs for the added dirt. I'm wondering if something like the MXR Boost/Line Driver would work for some extra volume/sustain during solos. Sometimes I feel like I'm backing too far off the guitar volume so when a lead comes in I have room to jump up in volume.... I'm thinking with the boost/line driver I'd be able to leave guitar volume almost all the way up to fill out the overall sound of the band and then click on the boost/line driver for that extra volume jump during leads.

Am I on the right track here? Maybe another option would be something like an EP Boost, which I already have.

I'm not much of a tweaker when it comes to pedals.... should I be going guitar -> wah -> direct drive -> Nobels/EP Boost/MXR Line driver (used mainly for volume/db boost) or guitar -> wah -> nobels/EP/MXR (for volume/db boost) -> direct drive?

2. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

It's exactly what I use it for on my main board, great uncoloured boost - it's just a volume lift; that said, I run it in the fx loop, so before the power amp, after the preamp.

If your amp on the edge of break up, any boost before preamp is likely to just give u more dirt and little volume, but if u have dialled back the guitar volume then it should work grand.

rumbletone likes this.