• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

MXR Custom Badass Modified O.D.

edwardz

Who has tried and/or uses one of these? My current go-to overdrives are the Rockett Blue Note and the Zendrive. Interested in this pedal, as Scott Sharrard uses one and seems to like it over the Zendrive he used to use. Jack Pearson recommended it to him, and he's another player I really dig.

Price is right, and I've always liked MXR stuff. Might be worth a try.

Scott Sharrard talks about it starting at 2:45..

fishcake

I still use mine, and having used a blue note before, i kind of like the fair bit of compression the CBAMOD offers. Ive read that the MXR is likened to a Boss SD1 and the BN is to a TS.

Comparing the 2, i think the BN has more gain in Hot Mode. The features for both are almost exactly the same. I would suggest trying both, as it would depend on how and what you are playing.

Id love to have a BN again, as it is a good od, but the CBAMOD kind of does the job i need it to do, so i havent really looked back. Im playing a strat to a marshall btw

Not sure how much help this was, though, bu5 it might give you an idea.

jazzguitarfan

Gold Supporting Member
I use one, primarily with the mid-bump off and 9 o'clock or less on the drive. It sounds good and and is great for the price. I have some much fancier stuff around, but this gets gigged more than others. I don't think you would regret the nominal expense for these at all (I certainly haven't).

edwardz

Anyone compare the CBAMOD to a Zendrive? I'm not digging the tonal coloration of the Zendrive much anymore.

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
Zendrive is a different animal to the CBAMOD.

The Bad Ass OD is one of the best under the radar ODs on the market. You can find one used for $50 to 60 bucks

edwardz

Zendrive is a different animal to the CBAMOD.
That's what I'm after. The Zendrive just isn't cleaning up well enough with the guitar volume knob. It's also a bit too mid heavy for my tastes these days. That's just what it is like it or not.

zosozep7

To me the Bad Ass is kinda like a Lovepedal Eternity with a few more features. This thing is an OD on steroids. If your into playing nice leads this is the pedal for you! I could see it being used for Allman Bros tunes for sure.

sadhudude

I have had one for eighteen months or so and like it a lot, nice fat TS variant, smooth sustaining leads and crunchy articulate chords. I always use mine with the mid bump off, the low end control is essential for me for getting it fat but not too fat, most TS variants lack enough low end for me. I use it into a modded a Blues Junior and get great classic 70s Rock tones with Alnico II pickups.

p.s. Just seen the post above, yes the Allmans tones can be had

zosozep7

LOL! I have a $600 Royal OD and several multi hundred dollar ODs but yet my Bad Ass aint going anywhere. I paid $60 for it a few years ago. It really is Bad Ass in my world.

HaloMaster

Gold Supporting Member
Woah, I just bought one of these and it showed up today! Looking forward to testing not out!

Jason_77

Love it! Great feature set - it's like two pedals in one box. It's like a Swiss Army Pedal!

Nota

I really liked it as well. Loved the low cut, I'm all about low cuts on guitar!

The similar VFE pedals probably have more features though, more EQ options and switches and such.

The name is... well, probably the worst name I've ever seen on a pedal. What were they thinking :|

edwardz

I got a Twitter reply back from Scott Sharrard. Said the CBAMOD is the best pedal he's ever owned. I'm going to order one and compare it to the Blue Note and Zendrive before selling anything. I spent a couple hours with the Zendrive last night and think I might want to hold onto it for a while.

edwardz

Ordered and received a new MXR CBAMOD from Sweetwater. Have spent some time the last couple nights playing my Strat and comparing it to the Zendrive. The Zendrive has its own thing, but IMO the CBAMOD sounds MUCH better with the Strat. Going to compare both pedals with my Tele and humbuckers tonight. Have always liked the Zen drive better with the Tele than the Strat and better with humbuckers than single coils. Still, I may be selling my Zendrive after tonight.

The 100 hz control, the range of gain, the bump switch and the pedal's tone make the CBAMOD pretty damn cool. I'll be keeping it for sure.

kingofrats

Ordered and received a new MXR CBAMOD from Sweetwater. Have spent some time the last couple nights playing my Strat and comparing it to the Zendrive. The Zendrive has its own thing, but IMO the CBAMOD sounds MUCH better with the Strat. Going to compare both pedals with my Tele and humbuckers tonight. Have always liked the Zen drive better with the Tele than the Strat and better with humbuckers than single coils. Still, I may be selling my Zendrive after tonight.

The 100 hz control, the range of gain, the bump switch and the pedal's tone make the CBAMOD pretty damn cool. I'll be keeping it for sure.
Cool. Let us know how you think it plays with single coils esp. the tele. Can this pedal do warm and creamy overdrive? it sounds a bit raspy/aggressive in some of the demos (not a bad thing), and I wonder if it's suited better for humbuckers.

Trending Topics