MXR custom comp settings for worship music?

sbrutledge

Just got this pedal and not sure what settings to dial in for worship style music I play. I like it so far but would like to fine tune it more with the internal attack, trim, and external output, and sensitivity controls.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know where I put my setting, but they would up different from stock and the pedal was more useable. When you adjust them, do it while plugged in. It was shockingly easy to cipher which tone you like best.

topo morto

... and your guitar set-up, and what you're going into, and your playing style...

Compressors are one of those where you just have to actually learn how to use them. Discipline is the path to freedom.

tobereleased

... and your guitar set-up, and what you're going into, and your playing style...

Compressors are one of those where you just have to actually learn how to use them. Discipline is the path to freedom.
Yeah, I was going to say that type of guitar will have a bigger input on how to set it than the fact you play in a p&w context. Even within p&w there's a huge range of ways people would set up their comps.

Personally I go for really squishy (for funk style stuff) or off. I don't use my comp as an always on sweetener. Others do.

sbrutledge

I play a gretsch 6119 through a vox ac15. I play a lot of ambient style guitar. I'm trying to get familiar with what all the parameters of the pedal and what they do. I like my sound to be well balanced.

topo morto

I don't like to use compressors at all - I prefer to get compression from light amp (or, more usually, sansamp) clipping than from a compressor. More interesting sound that way. When I have used compressors I've tried to get them to affect the dynamics like a drive pedal, with fast attack and release, threshold according to my input volume and ratio to taste. If you're playing ambient guitar that may work for you too...

crambone

Yeah, I was going to say that type of guitar will have a bigger input on how to set it than the fact you play in a p&w context. Even within p&w there's a huge range of ways people would set up their comps.

Personally I go for really squishy (for funk style stuff) or off. I don't use my comp as an always on sweetener. Others do.
Agreed. I use an SP Comp always-on in my P&W playing. Before that I had a Keeley 2-knob and didn't like it.

witafro2

Here's a video where the lead guitar player from elevation worship uses one. It is from a couple years ago.

crambone

This is a first, custom settings for a particular venue.
Yep. You see a lot of threads like this about P&W music due to volume constraints and what not. Sometimes it's more about staying "within the constraints" than emulating a popular artist or group in your playing.

Trending Topics