MXR Distortion+ pedal... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tele_jas, Jan 2, 2008.

1. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

You know, the ones with only 2 knobs (output and distortion).

I seen one of these (actually 3 of 'em) at a local ma & pa music store today for $100 each. I heard it through a little Fender champ and a Les Paul, sounded like it had plenty of gain on tap but maybe a little too top endy?

What's your opinion on this pedals? Would the work in front of a Dr Z amp or an AC30 style amp? I've got 3 tubeescreamers now and i'm just looking for something a little different, but that still sounds good. I've got my mind set on an OCD, but just wondering if this is some kind of "secret weapon" of some sorts or a great pedal that nobody really knows about? Chances are, no, since there's 3 of them in the same store..... but it's worth a shot.

2. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

I have one I bought for $10 about 20 years ago. Once in a while I'll plug it in to hear a real 70's distortion sound, but it's a one trick pony. The distortion has to be set pretty high, with the volume all the way up, to be at unity. It is a bit fizzy on the top end so I don't imagine it would do well with an amp that's already trebly.
    I modded it for TB & 9v adaptor a while ago and still need to redo the soldering...

My $.02...

3. gururyan

gururyan Member

[​IMG]

This is my 1977, it sounds great. The vintage ones are the way to go, but it's still hit and miss. If you find a good one, hang on to it. Mine doesn't act like the way the previous poster's does. I can get plenty of gain and distortion without having to max out.

4. 4styx

4styx Member

Tubescreamer stacked into Dist+ sounds pretty good,much like a good Fuzz Face without the wooliness.Isn't the OCD based on a Dist+?

5. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

I had a '70's (now stolen) D+ that sounded outstanding, that i miss dearly. Used LP into Hiwatt back then, and today i'm running all Tele/Strat, so I don't know if i would enjoy it as much now. I can say that the current model sucks a fair bunch, no output, thin, tinny/buzzy. My 70's D+ was still fairly low output also, but had a lot more muscle on it.

I paid 50 bucks for the 70's, 60 for the current. Have considered paying more for another old one, but screw it.......

cheers.

6. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

(Quick picture - apologies.)

Cheers!

[​IMG]

7. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

It was Jerry Garcia's main distortion sound from the late 70's through the early 80's. MXR D+ into a fender twin/JBL's. It's a different sound than what's in favor these days, but still kinds cool.

8. pedalhead

pedalhead Member

good enough for Randy Rhoads, (and allegedly early EVH!)......good enough for me!

9. Truckdrivin'man

Truckdrivin'man Member

This is one of my all time favorites! I bought one new in 1978 (block logo). I mostly use it with the distortion down to about 12:00 or 1:00 instead of full blown distortion.

I can get a fairly convincing "U2 Edge" sound with the MXR set as above into a Roland JC120 with the chorus on, a delay and some right hand muting with a strat. Real, real nice clean and punchy rythym guitar sound.

10. pi22seven

pi22seven Member

I use a DOD 250 as my main sound then stack the D+ into the 250.

Tonal nirvana for $110.:dude

11. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

yup this is one that still makes me smile - and is a bit suprising how good it can sound - strong input into marshall with GBs is really satisfying...

12. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb here...

I have had 3 D+'s and 3 Rat's
    I think the Rat pedal is more versatile. For mass-produced stuff, you can't go wrong w/ a rat. I have had a few upgraded rats too, and they are pretty good, while still inexpensive.

The D+ has pretty much one good sound. The Rat, while not exactly the same, can get quite a few good sounds.

I think what you're seeing is a lot of D+ nostalgia. I have it too, was my 1st pedal. But it just sounds dated. The new ones are not really contenders as they are SO different inside. The rat at least has real jacks.