MXR Distortion + Reissue or Gray Channel or?

krr149

Silver Supporting Member
So I've always been in love with the thick guitar sound of the Wipers, and I know that Greg Sage used an MXR Distortion + into an Ampeg amp. While I'm not looking to exactly cop his tone, I love the thickness and warmth his guitar has. I often use a Rat of some variety as my prime distortion pedal now, and sometimes with a Smallsound/Bigsound F*** OD for some extra juice. I'd like to dip my toe into some Germanium goodness, but I'm not sure where to go. I know a lot of people don't like current reissue MXR Dist + and claim it sounds thin. So I could track down a used MXR. But the new EQD Gray Channel seems to have a germanium option (as well as a host of other options, one of which is like the DOD 250, which I also love) for not a ton more money than a vintage MXR. Can anyone comment on the Gray Channel's sound?

hazmat33

I think the EQD White Light is also based off a Dist +

I have not compared them but really want to.

Jet Age Eric

I wrote 600+ words on Gray Channel in Tone Report a couple of weeks ago but, bottom line is it's great. That said, I'm not a fan of the D+, but I adore the 250, but I think the alternate flavors are where it really shines. The White Light is really kinda tame; I'd steer clear.

If you're a tweaker, the VFE Distortion 3 is awesome, as it lets you move between the D+, Microamp and 250 options, has hpf and lpf, and allows you to dial in compression; I wish I had three, plus spares. -E

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Umm, the Ross was a pretty exact cop of the D+, so that might be a shorter note: "Please see my review of the D+!"

The Grey Channel is a very cool option, but I wonder if the sweet spot might not be to pick up one of the DOD 250 reissues, which are really good by all reports, and mod it if you're not completely happy?

krr149

Silver Supporting Member
I wrote 600+ words on Gray Channel in Tone Report a couple of weeks ago but, bottom line is it's great. That said, I'm not a fan of the D+, but I adore the 250, but I think the alternate flavors are where it really shines. The White Light is really kinda tame; I'd steer clear.

If you're a tweaker, the VFE Distortion 3 is awesome, as it lets you move between the D+, Microamp and 250 options, has hpf and lpf, and allows you to dial in compression; I wish I had three, plus spares. -E

I liked your review very much! Thanks for the input.

chankgeez

Umm, the Ross was a pretty exact cop of the D+, so that might be a shorter note: "Please see my review of the D+!"
Umm, you seem to have a problem with number comprehension. That does not meet the 600+ word count requirement.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Wait, you have unused picks? What's that about, I get all mine from Guitar Center off the amps, I have to assume they're all used...

chankgeez

:spit

OK, I should clarify, "barely used" picks.

Every once in a while I decide to try some new picks, buy a bunch, play with 'em for about five minutes. Then they get tossed in a plastic bag and never get used again.

Seriously, though, I'm interested in the Gray Channel. This family of circuits is certainly one of my favorites.

Jet Age Eric

OK, I should clarify, "barely used" picks.

Every once in a while I decide to try some new picks, buy a bunch, play with 'em for about five minutes. Then they get tossed in a plastic bag and never get used again.
OK, I'll check.

Seriously, though, I'm interested in the Gray Channel. This family of circuits is certainly one of my favorites.
Do I have to do EVERYTHING?! http://tonereport.com/blogs/tone-tips/the-legacy-of-the-dod-250-which-250-is-right-for-you ;) -E

chankgeez

Yep, read the article already and you suggested the VFE in another thread.

I've got a Big Tone Music Brewery Gray Box (which sounds very nice) and a couple DOD 250 clones w/ LED clipping (which're also great sounding). So, I'm probably all set for now, but I'm still interested in others.

Jet Age Eric

Yep, read the article already and you suggested the VFE in another thread.

I've got a Big Tone Music Brewery Gray Box (which sounds very nice) and a couple DOD 250 clones w/ LED clipping (which're also great sounding). So, I'm probably all set for now, but I'm still interested in others.
I really liked the LED and FET clipping in the Gray Channel. But then, I already said that. ;) The new Zeta is very '70s, NYC to my ears. -E

chankgeez

Yeah, I've been running a 250-style pedal towards the end of my chain. So, that extra punch from the LED clipping is appreciated.

Trending Topics