• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

MXR FET Driver vs overdrive pedals

wiltel24

What is the difference in sound and overdrive abilities between the MXR FET Driver (Bonamassa model at this point, anyway), and any of the various types of overdrive pedals out there in general? Does the FET have a thicker sound, more gain on tap, or some other quality that makes it special?

Last edited:

ruger9

FET is thicker, but at the expense of a loose, flubby bass. I found it very hard to dial in. Definitely does "instant Eric Johnson", but I prefer the tightness and clarity of a regular overdrive (FD2). If I want something that thick, I'll move up to a fuzz (currently using a FuzzHead, which can also do a great 'EJ impression' "

Where an OD like the FD2 leaves more of the amp's tone, the FET makes it's own tone.

Billy Idle

I've played just a few minutes with this pedal at the store and I would say this is a fantastic device for solos. It IS thick and has a really nice violin edge, cotton-like edge that sounded like some kind bleached fuzz.

It sounds pretty different from the usual TS-based OD's.
I don't need it but is does sound nice, as the others MXR custom shop pedals that have come outlately (Micro Amp +, Phase 99, Super Badass...) btw.
I've just played loud it at the shop, not in a band context.

Hugh DaMann

I've played just a few minutes with this pedal at the store and I would say this is a fantastic device for solos. It IS thick and has a really nice violin edge, cotton-like edge that sounded like some kind bleached fuzz.

It sounds pretty different from the usual TS-based OD's.
I don't need it but is does sound nice, as the others MXR custom shop pedals that have come outlately (Micro Amp +, Phase 99, Super Badass...) btw.
I've just played loud it at the shop, not in a band context.

This is my experience as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Titi1506

The FET driver is a really thick sounding box. Don't trust the Youtube samples. It has a lot of different tones inside! A little bit on the fuzz side but smoother and fatter.
It's not very easy to dial and you need to spend some time with it. I use mine as a fat boost and it delivers great dynamic blues rock tones (Bonamassa style). It completes my FD3 perfectly on my Nano board.

wiltel24

The FET driver is a really thick sounding box. Don't trust the Youtube samples. It has a lot of different tones inside! A little bit on the fuzz side but smoother and fatter.
It's not very easy to dial and you need to spend some time with it. I use mine as a fat boost and it delivers great dynamic blues rock tones (Bonamassa style). It completes my FD3 perfectly on my Nano board.
Thanks for all the replies. So is the FET somewhat redundant to a fuzz? Honestly, sometimes it's hard to tell the sonic difference from Joe B. or Eric Johnson between their fuzz faces and the tubedriver like EJ, or Joe's FET driver. I even heard Joe say on one of his demos that they sound similar, but have a different 'feel'.

Titi1506

Thanks for all the replies. So is the FET somewhat redundant to a fuzz? Honestly, sometimes it's hard to tell the sonic difference from Joe B. or Eric Johnson between their fuzz faces and the tubedriver like EJ, or Joe's FET driver. I even heard Joe say on one of his demos that they sound similar, but have a different 'feel'.

I have both pedals, the Bonamassa Fuzz and FET drive. They have some similarities but the FET driver sound fuller and has a wide tonal palette IMHO. If you can get both, it's great. If you want just one, I'd choose the FET Driver

wiltel24

I have both pedals, the Bonamassa Fuzz and FET drive. They have some similarities but the FET driver sound fuller and has a wide tonal palette IMHO. If you can get both, it's great. If you want just one, I'd choose the FET Driver

Thanks. Any idea where the Wampler Velvet falls between these two? Closer to a fuzz or the FET/tubedriver?

mdrake34

Oh my God have I completely slept on this pedal as a fuzz alternative? I love how other people use fuzz but can't ever make them work in my rig.

Titi1506

Thanks. Any idea where the Wampler Velvet falls between these two? Closer to a fuzz or the FET/tubedriver?

I didn't try the Velvet fuzz but relying on YouTube clips, I'd say that the FET is capable of more aggressive tones and maybe a tad less fuzzy

Trending Topics

Top Bottom