MXR GT-OD Overdrive, is it out yet, what's the vibe?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by revgsmall, Feb 26, 2008.

1. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I just ordered the MXR Carbon copy, wondering if the GT-OD is just as cool. Is it anothe Tube Screamer with no bottom end? Hope not.

2. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

3. nangillala

nangillala Member

You can watch videos of it at youtube. I like the sound, but it seems to be very tube sreamerish. Let's hear what owners have to say about it.

4. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I only found one demo on You Tube, and yeah it did sound like a TS.

5. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I bought one and thought it sounded like a crappy TS. IMHO

6. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

I have one. It is a good pedal. So far on this thread, the reviews aren't that great, but take these things into account:

1) It's an "overdrive." It was designed to be used in front of a distorted or "almost distorted" amp for a boost. You can dial in some good sounds in front of a clean amp, but I like it better as a boost as I described.

This is based on my observations and experimentation:

2) The gain knob doesn't do much. The pedal pretty much sounds the same way no matter where you set the gain if it's anywhere past 10:00. The versatility is shown when the knob is set from off to 10:00.

3) This pedal can boost an amp to the moon. Turn the gain all the way down, and you've got clean boost using the output knob as a control.

4) Yes, it has thumping bottom end. (But then, if you need more bass, I'd say turn up the bass EQ knob on your amp - cheapest fix you'll find. ;) )

In brief, it is not the end all and be all of overdrives (I like it, but I can't use it much as it almost has too much boost for the bedroom), but it doesn't suck by any means.

If you want something in front of a clean amp, I'd suggest the MXR Distortion III.

7. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

I appreciate that, Croakus. Judging only by price points, I'd say Mad Professor is in a different league altogether. But then, it's known that all makes and models of Dist and OD pedals will all be different to an extent. There's nothing wrong with using more than one. :D