MXR GT-OD Paint flaking

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stevi, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Stevi

Stevi Member

Hi all!

I bought an MXR GT-OD some weeks ago and I like it very much. The problem is that when I put 3M DualLock underneath it, all the paint fell off, sticking to the velcro. Also, when I removed the large, ugly CE-sticker on the side, it too took a big chunk of paint with it. I took it back to the store and they sent it to the distributor. I'm expecting a new pedal, but I'm a bit worried that it will have the same problem.

I tried searching, but to no avail.

Has anyone here had the same problem? I understand that the Carbon Copy does the same? Is it something that MXR/Dunlop has dealt with, so that a new pedal will not have the problem?

Stevi

2. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Well - thoe of us less concerned with appearance might say, who cares? Does the pedal still sound and work fine? If so, who cares what the paint on the bottom looks like?

Brian

3. Stevi

Stevi Member

That's true, but all the paint was about to fall off a brand new pedal. That's why I took it back. Compare it to a car: What if the paint started falling off your brand new car?

I just wanted to know whether to expect the same problem with a new pedal, or to expect that it has been sorted out.

4. jonny toetags

jonny toetags Member

The same thing happened to mine.
    i removed the little sticker on the side (that says CE), and it took the paint away with it.
    I thought the MXR's were powder-coated? That should not happen to a properly powder-coated pedal.

When i got my '74 Phaser, i was worried about removing the sticker, but it came off with no problem.

5. Stevi

Stevi Member

Apparently the newer MXR models have some other kind of paint. I have had a Micro Amp, a Phase 100 and a Distortion III that were all powder coated. It was a much coarser finish than the GT-OD. Perhaps we just got our pedals from a bad batch. The store keeper suspected that it had something to do with the finish not having been 'baked' long enough for it to cure correctly.

6. jonny toetags

jonny toetags Member

That's what it looks like to me.

7. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I am not sure, but I don't think they powder coat metallic finishes.

TheGrooveking

8. FaselBaby

FaselBaby Member

It depends on the pedal. Some are painted, some are powder coated, some are anodized.

9. ungarn

ungarn Member

Use a hair dryer to heat up the sticker and velcro, should be easier to remove and may save the paint underneath. If properly cured, surface prep is the usual suspect for lack of adhesion problems.

10. Stevi

Stevi Member

The problem is not removing the velcro or sticker. The problem is that all the paint fell off the second I applied the Dual Lock.

11. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

expext the same problem. this happened with my MXR DoubleShot, MXR Six band Eq and Super Comp. I just removed the paint from the bottom, applied the velcro and that solved the problem for me.

12. ungarn

ungarn Member

Dang that sux...as stated below...just scrape off the paing and move on...that is a pretty darn good pedal in the tubescreamer type of overdrive!

13. Jay Douglas

Jay Douglas Member

The chinese aren't consistent with their metal work and powdercoating, I hear.

14. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

+1 on the MXR GT OD.

I ALMOST sold mine... foolishly... but didn't. And now I'm glad. Great lead boost. Really muscular TS type tone.

15. arcduelist

arcduelist Member

i've got no problems with mine.