MXR M87 Bass Compressor for guitar?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Release, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Release

Release Member

[​IMG]

Yea, yet another compressor thread. Sorry. Did a search on this pedal and came up with nothing.

Anybody running this pedal for guitar, and if so, how do you like it?

Also, I see that is has knobs for both input and output..... is this similar to the Barber Tone Press "Blend"?

I'm not a fan of the super-compressed sound. I just want a general evening of the strings. The reason for not going with a Tone Press or the Empress is that I'd like to keep it in a single size box. Problem is, other than the Philosophers Tone, the rest that offer blend are in the bigger boxes.

2. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Bump! Anyone with experience on this?

3. hawkwind

hawkwind Member

After an extensive session with one at my local GC I bought one for use with guitar. Had all the settings you need and expect from a foot pedal compressor and a little more like what you'd expect from a studio rack unit. I too wanted a small footprint, battery operation, and gain reduction indicator LEDs. this fits the bill perfectly. Don't worry about the "Bass" in the moniker. Works fine for guitar.

4. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Would you mind doing a demo?

5. 2-Bute

2-Bute Member

This is interesting.. I have a tone press but I'm on the verge of building another board...

6. mjl9787

mjl9787 Member

If I understand it correctly, "Input" adjusts the input gain and "Output" is your level control.

But I don't own one yet, so I don't know for sure.

7. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

I bought it yesterday. PERFECT for my needs.

Finally displaced my CS-2 (which I preferred over my FGC last time).

8. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

9. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Input is probably more like a threshold control. The point at which the comp kicks in is probably fixed. By using the input knob you can control how much signal is fed into the compression circuit. This would also make it useful for adjusting the compression level for instruments of varying output level.

Basically turn up the input for more compression or turn it down for less. It would be interactive with the ratio, attack and release knobs as well.

10. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

How does this compare tone-wise to the Keeley / Empress compressors? Would you all say it is similar / as-good / better ??

11. halfmanhalfgear

halfmanhalfgear Member

Yes, I use one with my guitars.

I like it because it is very tweakable, but to be honest, maybe it's just a little bit too tweakable -and I'm very tempted to replace it with a Wampler Ego.

For bass though it's great (it replaced my EBS multi-comp) but I think it's sometimes too transparent for guitar where I want a noticeable compression effect like a Boss CS-2 or Dynacomp does.

At least being primarily designed for bass means there's no bass roll off though.

12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

the Keeley is a ross/dynacomp clone. That circuit is Lo-fi and a one trick pony for a very specific over the top compression effect. If thats the sound you want then only a ross/dynacomp will do it. If you want any versatility at all you need to find one like the barber tone press that has a blend/mix knob so you can dial back the super squishy effect.

The M87 and the empress are similar in that they are both designed to be studio style compressors with a full complement of controls and metering (not just comp/sustain and volume). these compressors can be completely transparent or over the top depending how they are dialed. they are also useful for more than just chicken picken or slide. They will work well with acoustic guitar, bass, even vocals if you wanted to experiment in a recording situation.