MXR micro amp or fulltone OCD?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by neweffectsfreak1, Jan 15, 2015.

1. neweffectsfreak1

neweffectsfreak1 Member

Hi all,

I'm looking to pick up a clean boost for solos etc, I was looking at the MXR micro amp. However I also heard the Fulltone OCD can be used as a clean boost if you leave the gain off.

Is it worth owning both or will owning the OCD give me the best of both worlds, thus removing the need for a clean boost?

2. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Silver Supporting Member

Just about any low to med gain OD could be used as a "clean" boost, with the gain set very low and volume cranked up to taste. The level of transparency differs though from pedal to pedal, a lot of players want something that doesn't alter their original base tone, just boosts it. Certain OD pedals will add their own mojo to your tone when used as a booster, although there are quite a few out there that claim to be "transparent" ODs. The Micro Amp is very transparent IMO and doesn't add any grit, just volume. I've never owned or used an OCD so I don't know how it affects tone on a boost setting. If you can find an OD that you dig when used as a booster AND as an overdrive, I guess that's just killing two birds with one stone, as they say.

3. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Depends what you want. If you clean boost with very little coloration then the Micro Amp is an excellent choice. If you use the OCD as a "clean boost" it will add some color to your tone if that's what you're looking for

4. neweffectsfreak1

neweffectsfreak1 Member

I was looking to use it as a straight clean boost, a bit of colour is okay of course.. But I liked the "2 birds with 1 stone" idea. I might have to swing by a guitar centre and a/b them. Thanks

5. Stephans

Stephans Member

Micro Amp works great with Fender style amps to clean boost; it just makes everything louder.
    It's a great piece of gear in it's simplicity

6. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

skip both and get a Blues Driver with Keeley or H2O mod.... buries both the Micro & the OCD.