MXR modulation pedals. In front or in loop?

paulscape

Where do people put their MXR/EVH phase90 or flanger pedals? I usually put them in front of the amp as they sound weird or a loose volume through the loop. In front they sound very authentic for VH tones, especially soloing with the phase90 or using the flanger for 'aint talking about love', but for the life of me I can't get that heavy chh chhh chh chhh sound at the beginning of unchained. It's hardly noticeable. Ive also heard Paul Gilbert get a nice heavy phase sound through hi-gain amps on one of his DVD's. Maybe Eddie was also moving his muted hand up and down the strings along with the phase for unchained?

Any tips?

rob2001

Eddie ran a fairly complicated rig for it's time in the early days to get what he got. He ran a Plexi as a slave amp with a dummy load and employed a line out, where he ran his effects before going into a solid state HH power amp and then to the cabs. You can probably find this info doing a Google search . With that in mind, running in your loop would be closer to that than running in front.

But without that rig and Eddies hands it's tough to replicate. So i'd give the advice I would give anyone with placement questions... put stuff where it sounds best to you and go with it!

paulscape

Eddie ran a fairly complicated rig for it's time in the early days to get what he got. He ran a Plexi as a slave amp with a dummy load and employed a line out, where he ran his effects before going into a solid state HH power amp and then to the cabs. You can probably find this info doing a Google search . With that in mind, running in your loop would be closer to that than running in front.

But without that rig and Eddies hands it's tough to replicate. So i'd give the advice I would give anyone with placement questions... put stuff where it sounds best to you and go with it!

Thanks, I can get close to his sound for most things but can't get that heavy phase/flange at the beginning of unchained. I might try using another clean amp as a wet effects amp and try that out. Getting his delay is a little trickier as I dont have a tape echo unit.

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
I have heard an opinion reviewing the MX flanger say that it does not sound like "unchained" no matter how they tweaked.
I think you are on the money when you move your hand over the harmonics IN ADDITION to using the flanger.
MXR's sound great in front, and at the risk of steering you towards some overly-complicated set up, I think you are doing fine like you are.

paulscape

I have heard an opinion reviewing the MX flanger say that it does not sound like "unchained" no matter how they tweaked.
I think you are on the money when you move your hand over the harmonics IN ADDITION to using the flanger.
MXR's sound great in front, and at the risk of steering you towards some overly-complicated set up, I think you are doing fine like you are.

Ok I think I got it sussed. At home at lower volumes the flanger doesn't come through as much but at rehearsal I tried some unchained at higher volumes and got pretty damn close with the MXR flanger in front. Didn't really need to do any harmonics or anything different with palm mutes.

First trick is to have the settings exactly as they're supposed to be (easier if you have the EVH flanger with the settings preset). The settings I use are 10, 9, 11, 2 oclock respectively. Even a little bit off this makes a big difference. The volume really seemed to help in making the chh chh chh noticeable. Second trick, if recording particularly, is to ensure you start the take when the sweep of the flanger is right so you get the correct ascending or acending flanger sweep. This can only really be done with trial and error. About 1 in 2 takes matched up well enough. Third trick is to make sure you hit the flanger a little bit early each time so you get the whole flanged chh chh chh... rather than something too short and un-noticable.

Hit the ground running...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom