• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

MXR Phase 90 CSP026 vs CSP101-SL

wiltel24

Is there any sound difference between these two? Pretty sure the CSP101-SL w/led is true bypass for what that is worth. But does the CSP026 sound any better and is it worth $30 more in reality? Thanks.

MoonshineMan

Don't know about the money, but I love the LED and bypass. Very soft, quiet switch.
Love that box, use it all the time.

DSL74

2021 bump, curious about this comparison as well. The MXR M101 sounds too over the top and not interested in the mini Phase 95. So trying to make up my mind between the CSP026 and CSP101SL.

DSL74

another bump, between the CSP026 and CSP101SL, which one is less of a 'tone killer'.

philamag87

Gold Supporting Member
I have both of these pedals. The CSP101 is a great pedal and I gigged with it for the last 3 years. Prior to that I used the CSP026.

I had the CSP026 modded for true bypass by Analogman. If I recall correctly, he said true bypass wasn't really necessary for that pedal. I stopped gigging with it because I had to use a battery and it didn't have an LED so I didn't know when it was on or off. In hindsight, I should have had Analogman add and LED and power jack when I had it modified for true bypass but for some dumb reason I wanted it to "look authentic."

I've noticed no tone suck with the CSP101.

The CSP101 has a faster maximum rate than the CSP026. Not sure if that matters to you.

I would recommend the CSP101. That being said, I use the standard Phase 90 that I did the R28 mod, Stinkfoot's Univibe mod and lowered the input resistor to about 130k for close to unity gain.

GuitarGordon

I bought the M101 a few years ago and was very disappointed with the sound quality compared to my Original Script (long gone)from the early 80’s. I recently pulled the trigger on the CSP101SL. Was much happier with the sound. It’s much more refined and blends well with other effects. Jumping another tier to the CSP026 seems a bit much, but I too would be interested in knowing if the difference is worth it.

JesterR

CSP101 - is basicallyEVH pahser, without button (but it still on PCB). Something like "a bit tuned" block logo version. Maybe r28 mod, and some other.
CSP026 - is true authentic reissue of 74' model. Which makes it closest to vintage one, however: no LED, no DC, no True Bypass (however, I do not think, that it sucks tone that much).

From Analogman himself:
"This is the CSP026 hand-wired custom shop version of the Phase-90. It's the only one like it, the cheaper models that MXR make with an LED are not the same, they are not hand wired and do not have the same script logo circuit.

Analog Mike compared this new pedal to the original 1974 Phase-90 on his pedalboard and found it's just as great sounding! So we are carrying them now and selling them stock or with some convenience mods.

The long-time standard among phasers, the MXR Phase 90 is on the list of many players and even more collectors. Carefully recreated, this famous effect is available once again as the 1974 Vintage Phase 90. Hand wiring and hand selected matching transistors work together to bring back the same mesmerizing, smooth modulation as the original. You'll even find the same classic orange painted metal housing with the script logo."

Here is CSP101:

And here is csp026:

So, it depends on goals: modern features, or faithful reissue.

EpiLP1985

Silver Supporting Member
CSP101 - is basicallyEVH pahser, without button (but it still on PCB). Something like "a bit tuned" block logo version. Maybe r28 mod, and some other.
CSP026 - is true authentic reissue of 74' model. Which makes it closest to vintage one, however: no LED, no DC, no True Bypass (however, I do not think, that it sucks tone that much).

From Analogman himself:
"This is the CSP026 hand-wired custom shop version of the Phase-90. It's the only one like it, the cheaper models that MXR make with an LED are not the same, they are not hand wired and do not have the same script logo circuit.

Analog Mike compared this new pedal to the original 1974 Phase-90 on his pedalboard and found it's just as great sounding! So we are carrying them now and selling them stock or with some convenience mods.

The long-time standard among phasers, the MXR Phase 90 is on the list of many players and even more collectors. Carefully recreated, this famous effect is available once again as the 1974 Vintage Phase 90. Hand wiring and hand selected matching transistors work together to bring back the same mesmerizing, smooth modulation as the original. You'll even find the same classic orange painted metal housing with the script logo."

Here is CSP101:

And here is csp026:

So, it depends on goals: modern features, or faithful reissue.
Jumping in late here but this thread prompted me to open up my CSP101SL this morning. I have the Rev. C iteration with a red board. Looks like it was overhauled, at least on the surface, away from the EVH board. I can’t speak to the particulars as I did not have time to do a trace nor do I have an EVH for reference but here it is:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom