MXR Phase 90 differences?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EunosFD, Dec 21, 2005.

1. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I'm getting kinda tired of searching & digging around here & on the net for info about this so I figured I'd just ask. I have an early 90's (maybe from '92) MXR Phase 90 (block logo) that I've owned since new & decided to break it out and fiddle with it a bit lately. I've read up on the "R28 mod" quite a bit (and other "Script Logo" mods), however it appears my unit is built differently than these newer ones. The newer ones appear to have everything attached to the PCB (switch, pot, jacks, et cetera) whereas on mine the PCB is separate (foam wrapped) and the pot, jacks, and switch are all attached to the case itself & separate. So, finding info about the difference has become quite difficult & I'm not sure where to do the "R28 mod" or if it's even necessary. Anybody here know if there's a difference?

Oh, and there's also a noticeable volume drop when the effect is engaged & I don't remember if this has always happened or not. Is that normal? Any fixes for that?

P.S. I did e-mail Dunlop about this, but have yet to hear back from them.

2. JPB

JPB Member

If you have a pre-dunlop MXR (must be early 80's; Dunlop bought MXR somewher around 84 if i recall well) there's no need to do the R28 mod. Never heard any comments on volume drop in phase 90's, or phase 45's or 100's. Maybe you should check it with other pre-dunlop MXR''s

3. oxtone

oxtone Member

I have the EVH Phase 90, and it sounds great. No tone suck or volume drop when I engage it. It also has a Script/Block switch, which is a subtle change. Very liquid and organic...

4. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Sounds like you've got a pre-Dunlop. That would be from the '80s then. If you don't like it, don't bother modding it - just sell it and get something else.

A little history (my forté, apparently)... MXR owned MXR in '84, but they went out of business shortly thereafter, then regrouped and became ART. The MXR brand languished in disuse for a decade or so before Dunlop licensed the rights the the name. That's when the Phase 90, Distortion +, Dynacomp, and Blue Box reissues began to appear. A few years ago, Dunlop bought the name outright and that's when they began making "new" MXR products like the Super Comp and the Dimebag Distortion.

5. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

As far as I know it's a Dunlop as there's a Dunlop sticker on the inside of the bottom plate. I actually like it's tone a lot, but haven't played through a newer one to compare them. I bought it around '92 or so and it was "new in box" and came from a very reputable vintage guitar shop so I'm sure it was either new or "nused". I'm starting to wonder if this was an early reissue model before Dunlop started putting everything on the PCB like the current ones are. Hmmm...go figure. :confused:

6. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I have a late 90's phase 90 on my board. Can someone tell me more about the R28 Mod? This is the first time I am hearing of it. How is it done and what does it do to the sound of the pedal?

Thanks!!

7. dosmun

dosmun Member

The Mod is supposed to make the P90 a little more subtle, closer to the original script models.

8. tac5

tac5 Member

I can't remember where I saw it posted, but the procedure with pictures was on some forum. I did my pedal and it worked. The sound was so much richer and smoother (the new pedal had a tendency to distort certain frequencies). It involved clipping one little resistor from a pair of them and that was all. Very Simple and worth doing. I'll try to find the post. It's on one of the many guitar forums I visit.

9. tac5

tac5 Member

For a simple mod that makes a big difference check here;
    aronnelson.com/gallery/albums/Schematicsetc/phase90board.sized.jpg
    Remove the R28 (just clip it off). If this won't come up search this forum for MXR Phase 90 mods. It's in here. There are more complicated mods that can be done also, but this simple one worked for me.

10. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

gtr777, here's a page I found while I was digging around for info on my pedal that should relate to your version:

http://www.erikhansen.net/diy/phase90.htm

Now, I did find out more info on my "version" of the block logo P90. Turns out that apparently the early 90's RI's were built much like the original "script logo" P90's. So, no need to do any mods to get it to sound close to the original. No wonder I couldn't figure out why anybody would complain about them sounding bad. :D

11. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

Thanks for the link and the info It's really appreciated.

I'll be clipping that sucker tonight!!!

12. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

who makes a great phase with a true bypass?

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I will say that there is a difference in sound between Script and Block logo Phase 90s (at least with mine there was)-as subtle increase in smoothness and musicality? My son could hear the difference, too...

14. JPB

JPB Member

Right, there in a small difference in circuit between the scipt and bloc phase 90. I don't know what they changed. BTW The phase 45 and 100 script and blocs were the same; no need to hunt the script soundwise.

15. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey people,

+1 for the EVH Phase 90 pedal. I got one from a Gear Page board member used and it sounds great!!! I dig the Script/Block switch on the upper left of the pedal. You can get old school MXR Phase 90 or the Block logo sound. Plus it runs off of my SKB PS-45 pedalboard's power supply so there are no batteries or AC adaptors to deal with, just a 9' AC cord.

Guitar George

16. maracox

maracox Member

Hi EunosFD,

I had exactly the same problem as You. I had also an early 90ties Dunlop Phase 90. I sent it to Stinkfoot to have it script-modded (R28) but it turned out he couldn't do it because of the different pcb. Stinkfoot's theory was when Dunlop took over from MXR they used some MXR old stock pcb's in the first production runs. That said my Dunlop should sound like an late MXR Block Logo (Don't know if they differ from MXR script Logo already)

Shortly after that the unit broke and I bought an EVH Phase 90 for replacement. In script mode it seems to be smoother and less distorted than what I remember from my old Dunlop.

17. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I'm hoping to hear back from Dunlop sooner or later as I e-mailed them about it a few days ago so I can get some more accurate info from the horses mouth. It still sounds great to me so maybe I'll just leave it alone for now. :) ...but those EVH models do look pretty sweet though...in their own way. :D

18. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

have they got back to you yet?