• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

MXR Phase 90 or Maxon PT999?

muff77

Hi

I've been looking for a new phaser and I'm a bit torn between a MXR and Maxon. Here's my thoughts...

MXR current block Phase 90
- Too wierd for my taste.

MXR script reissue Phase 90
- Same as the EVH model. Slight volume boost and a stronger tone.

MXR '74 reissue Phase 90
- Clone of the original. No adapter option or true bypass.

Maxon PT999 Phase Tone
- Clone of the original Phase 90. Noticeable volume drop.

Does anyone have enough experience with these to give me some tips?

Thanks!

Hiwatt Bob

i've got the '74 handwired--sounds fantastic. i run a ton of pedals off batteries, so the no-adapter thing isn't too much of an issue for me.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I have a block logo dunlop Phase 90 that I modified and an EVH phase 90. The modified phase 90 sounds very very close to the EVH on script setting. I don't notice a volume boost either. When on block setting for the EVH I did notice a volume boost (same with unmodified Phase 90)

I have never tried the Maxon, but I have always liked their pedals. I would probably go for that. I really like both my phase 90's, but I don't use them much so I am probably going to sell one fairly soon.

gatordoc

I've been using a Maxon PT999 for a few years and really like it. I don't notice a big drop in volume, more of a slight drop, but I have so many other pedals that cause either a boost or a drop that I don't see it as in issue. It's a very warm, smooth phaser that doesn't get crazy and sounds really nice with OD or clean.

gtr777

Silver Supporting Member
Have you considered the retro sonic phaser. It has a depth and gain control so you can get a vintage phase 90 sound through the modern day one and everything in between plus it's true bypass. I'm very happy with mine.

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
PT999 has negative feedback. Its not a p90 clone. it sounds a little more hollow.

Trending Topics