Mxr Phase 90 reissues: '74 vintage or custom shop script?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Alter, May 13, 2008.

1. Alter

Alter Member

Well, looking to get an mxr phase 90. I ll be wanting to do a mod for true bypass, led and power jack. I 've read through a lot of related threads, but i m not sure about which of the two versions mxr is currently producing is considered best: '74 vintage phase 90 or custom shop script phase 90? Also if someone could suggest retailers who offer the pedals already modded i'd be grateful.. (one shop i 've found is PR music supply)..

thanks

2. joafink2

joafink2 Supporting Member

i thought they were the same thing until i looked at the dunlop site... the '74 vintage phase 90 is handwired no led and not true bypass and features "select resistors paired with hand-matched FETs to achieve the same smooth and warm modulation as the original."... i got a modded one from PR music supply and love it so i'm partial to this one... not too sure about the other one though...

3. Franktone

Franktone Member

Yeah, contact Croakus on these pages for a 74-phase 90 phase shifter with true by-pass. I have one and people say it sounds like the old ones. It sounds rich and swirly to me.

4. meterman

meterman Member

Take a look at the Retrosonic phaser. Phase90 clone with depth and volume knob. I've had several different Phase90s and this one is sonically heads and tails above the rest IMHO

5. Alter

Alter Member

thanks for all the answers. i recently got the retrosonic. it is a very musical phaser, and the built quality and sound are more than apparent, but it is a bit more subtle than a phase 90, and it doesn't give me the sounds i 'm after (i mostly use it for funk - chords and syncopated single line stuff). i used to have an mxr but sold it because of volume and bypass issues - loved the sound though..

.. looks like i 'm emailing PR music supply

thanks again for the help