MXR Pitch Transposer

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by Terry McInturff, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

I bought one when they came out around 1980 or so and it was part of my rig until I retired it a couple years ago. I still think it's the best sounding "harmonizer" Ive tried. I replaced it with an EHX Pitchfork, which does ok....

Any other users of the MXR?

2. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Hi Terry, that's one unit I've had on my "to try" list for a long time but haven't had the occasion to do so, very curious to play one one of these days. Have you been able to compare it to the classic old Eventide H910-H3000, or other big boys from the time like the AMS1580, and does it compare? Could you also please share how you used it in your rig?

Terry McInturff likes this.
  3. Terry McInturff

They are all going to need re-capping by now, so be aware of that....there are lots of electrolytic caps in there.
    - The MXR sounded more "organic" to me than the H910. I can't compare to the H3000 because I never have used an H3000 in a guitar rig for harmonizing.
    - Ive never used an AMS unfortunately.
    - The MXR was first in my signal chain after the guitar, using the instrument level in/out.

4. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

The MXR pitch devices and their heir, the ART Pitch Transposer, ran on analog BBD chips. (I know, some people consider BBDs digital not quite analog for techie reasons. For a guitar forum they're analog, alright?) Pretty sure that A/DA also has a BBD-based pitch shifter on the market back in the 80s, too.

The old guys, including pre-H3000 digital, can still be fun to awesome if they sound cool and you don't need more advanced capabilities like intelligent. And they're still perfect for intelligent harmony as long as you keep to a whole-tone scale.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  5. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Doesnt hold a candle to the 55

6. disconnector

disconnector Member

BBDs are completely analog . . . they just shift data in discrete bundles. BBDs never convert a signal to digital though.

7. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

yeah, I misremembered the nitpicky stuff you find in deep nerd corners on BBDs. Not digital but arguably not exactly analog because of the non-continuous nature of the signal. Feh. I wasn't trying to push that view but just preempt dispute. [And a fine job of that, too.]

But no one comments on the whole-tone scale joke? That was gold.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Terry McInturff likes this.
  8. Terry McInturff

In practise, the MXR seemed more "guitar-like" to me. Of course, there were slight modulated "artifacts" in the synthesized note..but not too bad. It certainly sounded a lot better than the competing Ibanez unit which was around at the same time.

9. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Thanks Terry, definitely sounds like some piece of gear I'd have to try.
    The H3000 and other big boys like the AMS are better used in line level rigs to me.