MXR Reissue flanger, Any good?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gpro34, Jul 16, 2006.

1. gpro34

gpro34 Member

For those who own or have tried this flanger whats the verdict? Anygood? Thanks

2. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Anyone out there??

3. loofery

loofery Member

i have. It does some cool stuff.

however, I PREFER the arion sfl-1 flanger.

they pull off the same sounds at the same settings.

but, the arion sounds warmer, and more organic. it's also lighter, smaller, and much less costly. i kept the arion, and traded the mxr.
    check it out!

4. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

Pretty good... the Ibanez reissue also sounds similar and is a bit cheaper I think.

5. gpro34

gpro34 Member

6. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey gpro34,

I own the MXR 117R flanger (reissue version). It's a great flanger and runs off the Dunlop 18 volt adaptor instead of the AC cord like the original one. You can do all the flanger sounds like on the CDs e.g. Van Halen's "Unchained " intro. You can find them used on E-bay for under $100.00. I sold my original '80s Ibanez FL-9 flanger for the MXR reissue flanger because it nailed that original sound I was looking for which the Ibanez couldn't do.

Guitar George

7. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

before you look at the mxr........please check a BOSS BF2 ANALOG Flange. :drool

8. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

I almost purchased the MXR 117R last year and then the MXR 117 EVH model surfaced around January. It is vaporware as they have advertised it for 4-5 months and no one has it in stock. Mine is on order so I will post a review once I get it but they keep moving the release date forward every month like they did with the Phase 90 EVH.

9. utterhack

utterhack Member

Unless you really dig the graphics, there's no reason to wait. The EVH is just a stock M171R with stripes and a button to override your settings for a preset "Unchained" setting.

10. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

What's a good flanger that is also true bypass and not massive? Thanks!

11. gproud5150

gproud5150 Member

I don't think that flanger exists.

12. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Well, after some research I found the Maxon FL-9 IS true bypass. I picked one up and it sounds GREAT! Warm and sweet. Recommended. :dude

13. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

The BF-2 is great, but kinda noisy, I'm surprised you haven't gone more boutique on this, do you put yours in a loop?

14. Rolodexrock

Rolodexrock Member

bought it, played it, hated it, threw it against a wall...

bought an M117R, loved it, over use it, friend stole it to 'dry out my tone', now he won't return it because he loves it too much...bastid.

Probably the second best flanger I have owned. the best one being the Electro Harmonix one.

15. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I've got an original issue MXR flanger. Bought it new back in the day (hard pressed to tell you what year - between 76 and 80, though). Pretty cool flanger. Noisy and not very versatile, though. Does a few sounds very well.

16. Madsman

Madsman Member

This was my solution too. The FL9 has a meaner sound than my SFL-1 or my A/DA but it sounds really great for my purposes (think "Tool" flange, not EVH.) I thought there were a few more True Bypass flangers out there, though. It's been a LONG time since I've shopped flanger pedals now, so I'm a bit out of touch.

BTW, I think the MXR rocks, and I like the BF2 as well. Just prefer limiting the number of buffers in my chain.