MXR Sized Options - Chorus and Delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eugewong, Jan 18, 2006.

1. eugewong

eugewong Member

Round Here we stay up very very very very late
    Hi all,

Anyone can point me in the direction of a nice Chorus and Delay that's available in an MXR sized box?

The only ones I know are from BYOC (Chorus and Delay) and Maxon (discontinued apparently) and Analogman (Chorus, but pricey!) Would like to take a look and listen to other alternatives.

Thinking of putting together a nice and compact pedal board with just 4 MXR sized boxes.

Mosferatu -> Zen (i can wait...no rush :) ) -> Chorus -> Delay

Thanks all!

2. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

3. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I liked the EBS Red Twister chorus better than Analogman.

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Anyone know if the Ibanez vintage series is true bypass?

5. g-nem

g-nem Member

+1 on the guyatone stuff- there is a guy selling a guyatone chorus on TGP riht now.

Also, the dano PB&J delay is a great lofi sounding delay if you don't mid having a loop to take it out of your chain when not using it.

6. Wooley

Wooley Member

Hey, I think that's a pretty cool idea you have there. I have 46 pedals (that's counting the CC2 as 1 not 3), and I recently had it down to between 3 and six (compressor>OD>delay, comp>phase or another OD>OD>delay, comp>phase>OD>OD>delay>and comp>phase>OD>OD>vibe>delay. I find it's really nice to have a great compact rig in addition to your big dream rig both for convenience and to keep you focused on playing your guitar not your pedals Also, for what it's worth, I find it impresses the hell out of people when you keep blowing them away with the sounds from a small chain.
    All that said, this is an ambitious project you've taken on due to the size restriction you've put on the pedals, so this should be a fun discussion. I could definitely do it without any jumbo pedals (like my Mutron Phaser II or original Deja-vibe or CC2, all monsters), but I'm not sure if I could do it with Phase 90 sized boxes.
    Here are my thoughts, adhering strictly to your restrictions: RMC FK-1 compressor, Maxon CS-9 chorus, Fulltone OCD drive, Analogman modded DD3 delay.
    If you can spare an extra 3/4 inch, you will save yourself money and still get a great chorus sound by getting the Electro Harmonix Small Clone, which I believe now comes standard with true bypass switch, or a Voodoo Labs Microvibe, which I know does.
    Please let me know what you think of these suggestions; I'm sure many more will follow from others.

7. Wooley

Wooley Member

Hey, I think that's a pretty cool idea you have there. I have 46 pedals (that's counting the CC2 as 1 not 3), and I recently had it down to between 3 and six (compressor>OD>delay, comp>phase or another OD>OD>delay, comp>phase>OD>OD>delay>and comp>phase>OD>OD>vibe>delay. I find it's really nice to have a great compact rig in addition to your big dream rig both for convenience and to keep you focused on playing your guitar not your pedals Also, for what it's worth, I find it impresses the hell out of people when you keep blowing them away with the sounds from a small chain.
    All that said, this is an ambitious project you've taken on due to the size restriction you've put on the pedals, so this should be a fun discussion. I could definitely do it without any jumbo pedals (like my Mutron Phaser II or original Deja-vibe or CC2, all monsters), but I'm not sure if I could do it with Phase 90 sized boxes.
    Here are my thoughts, adhering strictly to your restrictions: RMC FK-1 compressor, Maxon CS-9 chorus, Fulltone OCD drive, Analogman modded DD3 delay.
    If you can spare an extra 3/4 inch, you will save yourself money and still get a great chorus sound by getting the Electro Harmonix Small Clone, which I believe now comes standard with true bypass switch, or a Voodoo Labs Microvibe, which I know does.
    Please let me know what you think of these suggestions; I'm sure many more will follow from others.

8. Wooley

Wooley Member

Sorry 'bout the repost, technical error.

9. eugewong

eugewong Member

Round Here we stay up very very very very late
    Thanks for all the answers so far. It's kinda strange don't you think?

Of all the pedals out there, there are only so few chorus and delay pedals that have been manufactured in the MXR sized box. There are tons of comps and ODs/Dirts/Fuzzes, but hardly a handful for chorus, delay and other modulation efx.

I like the Guyatone idea, but just for kicks, I'm going to see if I can get the board going with 4 identically sized compact boxes. Of course tone is the most important factor here, but I think it'll look downright cool.

I've spent the night surfing and other than those that I mentioned earlier, there really aren't a whole lot that are in current production. Some old DODs and MXR pedals, some quite obscure vintage pedals (Loco Box anyone? My friend had the compressor once...)

Nice to see that you guys share my 'vision' here. :D I love my big board, but it's just not always feasible to lug it to gigs. Plus, I find I play better with less at my feet.

Maybe I could get someone to rebox a couple of my fav pedals or something like that. I think Pacificustoms has rehoused Boss pedals into an MXR box.

10. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

A very good analog delay in a super compact size is the Maxon AD80 reissue. I use one and I think it's great. I know they don't make it anymore, but sometimes you can find one for sale on eBay or in the Gear Page Emporium.