MXR sized univibe?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EXP, Feb 20, 2006.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

only ones i know of are the Lovepedal Vibe, Mofaux, and the KR small Mega Vibe. any others?

2. exodus

exodus Member

the small KR is not quite MXR sized... more it's just a tiny bit smaller than a mojo vibe.

3. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member

One could mod an MXR Phase 45 (just swap 4 capacitors to the Univibe values) and get damn close. The differences would be you'd lack the Univibe's unique discreet opamp input stage and the light bulb/photoresistor LFO. The basic Univibe warble would be there, though.

4. Craise

Craise Member

Is this was the Mofaux and magic vibe are? modded phase 45's?

5. drolling

drolling Member

I realize that this is the GearPage, but I really like the little Dano Chicken Salad. It's even smaller than an MXR, but it contains a miniature light bulb/photo cell arangement, just like the big guys. I've got a massive ole Ultra on my board now, but at one time, I actually preferred the sound of the chicken Salad to the Dunlop Univibe.

On the downside, it's extremely fragile plastic housing and tiny pots don't exactly inspire confidence - the buffer's also among the worst and it guzzles down batteries in minutes.

6. Phil M

Phil M Member

The Mofaux and Magicboy are the only two in that size package. Neither uses the photocell, but sound close enough for rock and roll.

7. doctorx

doctorx Member

Yup, what he said. I took mine apart to see if I could repackage it in another box with true bypass but it was too complicated, it had two boards and the pots weren't labeled. It's tone does have an astonishing resemblance to the Univibe and it's clones literally 10 times it's price. It amazes me that Danelectro or somebody else hasn't put this circuit in a better box.

You do have to use a power supply, it will eat a battery in one nite of playing.

If you break it or it wears out, so what? I just bought a second one for $24.95 with free shipping from Music123.com

8. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

Sounds like the Rastop Phaser is a boutique Dunlop univibe with a lamp and all. I would love to hear if anyone could compare this to the others mentioned on this thread.

9. bailnout

bailnout Member

Yea, what HE said he said!:)

I don't have mine anymore but when I did have it, I loved it. I always ran the power off my board rather than batteries. I always kept the plastic protector over the knobs. And I was always careful when I stepped on it. I too would love to see Dano put that circuit in a better box.

10. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

My Voodoo labs Microvibe isn't that big at all, and uses the photocell.
    Check it out, you might like it.
    Peace,
    Mass

11. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

I have no idea about the "lamp and all" but I had a Rastop phaser and it definitely does a univibe sound. You can get a pretty good idea from the sound clips on the site. Definitely on the univibe side of phasing. The vibrato does a pitch shifting wobble.

It's MXR sized, but if I remember correctly, it uses a 12 V power supply.

Definitely a cool pedal. One LED blinks in tempo and the other one gets brighter as you increase the depth control.

I have had the MoFaux and the Magicboy as well. The Rastop can get a more resonant and cutting sound. Of course the MoFaux and Magicboy have no real Depth controls.

I kept the MoFaux, FWIW.

12. guisquil

guisquil Member

Where can I find the value and location of these 4 caps?

Thanks,

13. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I have a chicken salad and I have a mofaux coming, so I'll be able to really test the two out against each other. Do you guys run vibes in front of your dirt pedals?

14. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Assume that everyone knows that the "Vibrato" setting just cuts out the direct signal so all you have is the shifted signal.

+4 on the Chicken Salad - made like crap, it EATS batteries like nothing I have ever seen but sure is tasty!!!:crazy

15. valen

valen Member

I guess one could get the Chicken Salad, power supply and looper (for TB) and still come out ahead .:AOK

16. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member

17. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

The KR products in the small boxes are kind of like bloated MXR boxes... my Doubler is like a fattened MXR box- 4.7" x 2.4" x 1.6". Very cool and unique. Sounds awesome. The Mega-Vibe in the smallest box is 4.7"x3.7"x2.4"

MXR std. box size = 2 1/4" wide by 4 1/4" by 1.5" tall, for reference.

18. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

OH NO, HERE I GO AGAIN!!!
    I'm a 'Vibe nut.
    I have an ancient Deja Vibe in my pedalboard - really nice, but old (mileage), and large. I bought a Magicboy and was just about to sell it when I decided to open it up and tweek settings. Now I like it. It ain't a DejaVibe (really deep, pulsing wobble), but its basic sound is cool. Tell me about (dare I ask?) the Rastop.... what'd it cost?
    (ol lawd hep me - pedal GAS!!!!)

Peace,

jb

19. hb_nz

hb_nz Member

+...how many is it now? - on the Chicken Salad. It's a shame about the tone sucking in bypass mode, cos it really does sound great.
    As far as the battery drainage is concerned, isn't that inherent in any vibe pedal?

20. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

If it has photocells, yeah...
    But the ones that emulate that sound (my MagicBoy comes to mind) can - not necessarily saying they all do, they can get lots of high-quality hours in on a 9-volt...

jb