MXR Smart Gate v NS-2 v ISP Decimator

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Soundhound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I've been using an NS-2 forever and it's just fine and dandy. Since I usually set a noise gate and forget it, I'm wanting to set it up under a riser on the pedalboard I've been using recently. The MXR Smart Gate would fit nicely under there.

Any experience with quality of the MXR vs the NS-2? The Decimator is intriguing also, but it's pretty much the same size as the NS-2.

Once again, thanks gents.

2. 155

155 Supporting Member

for me the mxr wins it does more then the ns-2 and the decimator just dosent have enpough adjustment and size wise you cant beat it, no tone suck either!

3. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I would have to agree. I tried the Decimator and it just didn't seem to do anything for my rig. The MXR on the other hand has no trouble keeping noise under control. Great little pedal.

I would suggest that you go to your local store and see how the three of them work for you. Bring your noisiest distortion pedal, or a good high gain distortion and stack it to an overdrive and see which one of the three keeps the noise down the best. My guess is that the MXR will win because of it's extended adjustment controls.

4. peridot1

peridot1 Member

I have both the smartgate and decimator. I think I'd give the edge to the ISP, but I like them both. Maybe bad practice on my part but I actually use them both, with the adjustments ever-so-slightly just to get rid of the hiss n hum. I believe I'm retaining my original tone better this way.

5. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Interesting! How is is that the Smart Gate (I'm hoping that'll work for me, cause it'll fit the spot i need it to go in..) has more control than the NS-2? N2 has a control for threshold and one for decay. Looks like the smart gate just has control for threshold, and that full/mid/hiss(?) switch. thanks!

6. peridot1

peridot1 Member

Smartgate has Hiss.. Mid.. & Full levels with a Hi Trigger button as well. On mine however I can't seem to do anything with it unless I have the Hi Trigger button engaged.

Myself I don't need all those options. Figure if it's that bad there's something wrong with my chain.

7. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I find that the high trigger works best when the gate is in the effects loop of the amp. Naturally, I turn it off whenever I play without distortion. Gates can, will often take away some of your sound, so they must be used with caution.

8. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Smartgate = good
    NS2 = useless

9. storm319

storm319 Member

None. Amps naturally have some noise that you just need to deal with and it often isnt bad enough that you need to choke your signal with a gate. If the noise is so bad that you need a gate, you have a problem with something in your chain.

10. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    a bit harsh on the NS-2 but it's no match for the Smart Gate.
    But using the Smart Gate requires a bit of smarts yourself.
    Stick it in the loop where it's supposed to be - that way it'll eat both pedal and amp noise. Then activate the trigger to high so it's fully engaged.
    Then adjust the level correctly. Crank it too high and it will eat note sustain, ease it back and it's perfect.
    That's how it's designed and that's what it says in the manual.
    The only people who say it hisses, doesn't work, or it sucks tone, are people who don't know how to use it :eek:

11. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

full disclosure: I moved the Smartgate to the loop on the mixer that is picking up the mic on the amp. Works better. So, yeah, I don't gate the signal at the amp any more, but I have a not-so-noisy rig.

12. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

+1 good call.

13. peridot1

peridot1 Member

I can't imagine anyone not knowing how to use the smartgate. It's hardly complexed. I think over half my pedals are more involved.

If the noise is a bit over the top it's always the chain for me. I fix that first. After that the smartgate will work fine. In recording however I like to keep it really quiet so I add the ISP with both pedals at a minimum. Seems to work pretty good.

14. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Smart Gate. Its a pedal that will never leave my board. gets rid of all the hiis or noise and does nothing to my tone or attack. what a great pedal. you probably dont even need to give it a try, just get it, you will love it.