MXR 'Timmy'

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mr_cheef, Jan 11, 2020.

1. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

Given the size and price point of the MXR Timmy, as with most mini-pedals, it's likely built using SMT construction. This would make it extremely difficult to do any chip swapping, since the footprint of a surface mount op-amp is less than 1/4" square and the solder pads for the legs are less than 1/16" apart.

2. ddog

ddog Supporting Member

Think paul has done enough evaluation on op amps...lm 1458 works well in my v2's...not so sure its worth the trouble for mxr.fwiw.

amdowell likes this.
  3. Jonathan Davis

Jonathan Davis Member

It seems you're right. I've now seen the gut shot and they don't look swappable. And as someone above pointed out, the Musician's Friend listing specifies that its an LF353, which I am not familiar with. I bought Timmys that came with a 4558 and a 4559 respectively, and I prefer the former. I dropped in an LM1458 and I prefer that most of all (so far), at least for my purposes, which is usually a single coil guitar with a clean Fender amp.

ddog and UncleLarry like this.
  4. johnny q

johnny q Member

Well, I still have yet to plug it in and put it through it's paces, but my first impression was.....awe, it's so cute! :) I knew it was a mini, but dang, this thing is really teensy weensy!

Can someone explain to me the three position clipping toggle? Specifically what are the three settings?

ddog likes this.
  5. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

First position is Asymmetrical Clipping (odd number of diodes), center is Open (no diodes) and third is Symmetrical Clipping (even number of diodes)

johnny q and ddog like this.
  6. ddog

ddog Supporting Member

That would be ...left /asymmetrical ...middle/open...right /symmetrical...had to remind myself this morning...its as much a timmy as your going to get for the $129.00 and build is bullet proof solid... the lm 1458 and lf 353 were comparaed on youtube somewere...it is a good sounding op amp.

johnny q likes this.
  7. deftgala

deftgala Member

Was quite happy to hear that Cochrane was working with MXR to mass produce the Timmy.

I’ve owned my v2 Timmy for about 5-6 years and it plays well with every pedal, guitar and amp I pair it with. Ive generally used it as a stacking pedal to access med-high gain with my humbucker guitars. I usually leave the T/B knobs fully counter clockwise, the gain at about 11 o’clock and volume at unity.

However, I’ve been playing my p90 gold top a lot over the past few months and pairing the Catalinbread 5F6 with the Timmy for med-gain, and dialling back the T/B to about 9 o’clock to even out the EQ of the P90s... Timmy has been a favourite of mine for a long time.

ddog likes this.
  8. ddog

ddog Supporting Member

After spending some time yesterday with pedal some views of the ole v2 vs new...my findings are that older pedal was a little darker than new pedal and that I do have to roll back treble on mxr...im using primarily single coils and and a small turn of treble gets you there to v2 land no problem...that's it.Great little pedal and an appreciated offer from paul/mxr.

rumbletone and monty like this.
  9. Mele

Mele Supporting Member

Well I broke down and grabbed an MXR Timmy since the price was right. This is my 4th Timmy - have had all of the major versions before and spent most of the afternoon doing A/B tests and trying to dial in some usable sounds. Sorry but I just don't get it.... still a generic, buzzy tone and it doesn't add much when stacked either. I went back and listened to all the recent product launch and NAMM demos and those all sounded really bad too. If someone has seen a video where it actually sounds good, please let me know.

I guess some of us just don't bond with the Timmy, weird... I must be in the 2% that don't get this pedal. I'm gonna hang onto it and see if I can find a place for it but after trying with a bunch of different amps and guitars, it's still a miss for me :(

10. steam boat

steam boat Supporting Member

Hmm. What’s amps?

Purple_Plexi likes this.
  11. Mele

Mele Supporting Member

Guitars: LSL Tele, Fender CS Tele, Suhr super strat, Suhr JM w/ P-90's, Les Paul, PRS McCarty

Amps: Marshall plexi, Marshall DSL-50, 65 Super Reverb, 65 Princeton Reverb, Vox AC-30, Morgan AC-20, Carr Mercury V, Dr Z Carmen Ghia, Kemper with various profiles. Also ran it through a Suhr RLIR cranked with many different speaker IR's.

A/B'd next to an Xotic RC Booster and a dozen other "clean boosts" and it wasn't even close. Also stacked it with a Klon, OCD and the usual suspects. Took me awhile to figure out the "backwards" tone cut knobs but played with it for at least a few hours through many configs and it was never the one I would want on a given pedalboard (was hoping to use this on a "mini" board with a Tumnus mini, etc...).

Trust me, I want to like this pedal but neither the one I have nor any of the ones in recent videos sound good to me at all.... just hoping it's a case of me not knowing how to dial it in but the data says otherwise.

steam boat likes this.
  12. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

Umm....the MXR Timmy doesn't have the reversed treble and bass cut knobs. Those are only on the Paul C versions. :rolleyes2: :huh :bong

johnny q likes this.
  13. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

So it actually does, they’re just backwards as he said. What once were tone cut knobs are now backwards tone cut knobs. With the MXR you start fully CW and cut backwards. With the V2 Timmy you start fully CCW and cut forwards. Perhaps they’re not deemed tone cut knobs anymore, but they were “marketed” as such at NAMM by Dunlop/MXR. I think most important is the Bass is pre-gain, which changes the gain structure more than how one might expect.

I sold my V2 today for a lot of money. Didn’t even have to try hard, and the person didn’t even know about the V3s or the new MXR. Kind of bizarre.

Mele likes this.
  14. Mele

Mele Supporting Member

Umm, the MXR Timmy knobs are reversed from the Paul C. Timmy's knobs. In the context of this thread, it's pretty obvious what I was referring to.

This demo has what I would call a usable Timmy tone. Gonna see if I can dial something like that in..

15. Mele

Mele Supporting Member

lol, I've been looking on Reverb/eBay for a used Timmy assuming that they might be coming down in price due to supply/demand OR maybe there would be less wait time on a Paul C. version.

Nope, cheapest Timmy is over $200 (and some for $500?!) which is almost double the street price of the MXR variant. Go figure, Klon part deux anyone?

pete12string and Help!I'maRock! like this.
  16. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Hmmm ... IMO it is very different from either a clean boost or a klon.

With that gear, I’d test/use it for Les Paul into Plexi cranked to medium crunch (windows rattling but not blown right out :) ) and use the Timmy to take it to the next level. If it isn’t working for you in that scenario, then I’d say it’s definitely not for you ...

UncleLarry likes this.
  17. Mele

Mele Supporting Member

And it's totally possible that I just have the wrong expectations and it is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing, i.e. nothing :)

monty likes this.
  18. johnny q

johnny q Member

So - I am still struggling to find time to put this through it's paces. However, I did manage to test it last night as a standalone overdrive pedal i.e. providing gain for an otherwise "clean" amp. I used my Germino Lead 55 with the volume at around 2-3 - pre break up and still pretty damn loud! By the time I was done dialing in the gain and EQ settings on the Timmy, the tone sounded virtually indistinguishable from when I have the amps volume at around 7-8, which is high praise. This is certainly one of the better overdrives I have tried and that is saying something, I have owned (and still own) dozens of them. Stock, modded - you name it. Incidentally - I preferred the toggle in the "middle" position - this seemed to sound most pleasing to my ears.

Tonight, I will test it in front of my JCM800 as a clean boost. It will need to beat my Barber Direct Drive if it wants to go to the gig with me on Friday! :)

Lamby, Ramblin390, monty and 2 others like this.
  19. Don Rusk

Don Rusk BearFoot FX Owner

LF 353 is what was used in the early BJFe Little Green Wonders - higher headroom/ less distortion.

mam8dg likes this.
  20. deftgala

deftgala Member

I love my Timmy. It stacks perfectly for my needs.

However, I had the same experience with the PoT as you’ve had with the Timmy. No matter how much I tried to love it, I couldn’t. I enjoyed it but not enough to keep it.