MXR 'Timmy'

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mr_cheef, Jan 11, 2020.

1. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Moderation is key Staff Member Supporting Member

So.....that wasn't the best demo, and beyond the fact that they didn't sound fantastic, did anyone else notice how different they sounded? MXR Timmy sounded much thinner, and even the breakup sounded a little different. Usually if you see a demo and they line up 5 Klon(e)s they all pretty much sound alike. I closed my eyes just to make sure I wasn't crazy, and could easily identify whether the original or MXR Timmy was being used.

Again, not saying that's bad, but aren't they supposed to sound the same? :dunno

2. Vcaster

Vcaster Member

Same/same

This ^

Killshakes likes this.
  3. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

I've had slight variances in multiples of the same pedal - as most know parts tolerances are typically the biggest culprit and a little bit of extra tweaking typically finds the equivalent setting. The Andy demo is a little weird and, to me, not really super representative of what I would argue are the best qualities of the Timmy's gain sounds or boosted sounds.

ddog, Surf Sloth and hippieboy like this.
  4. Surf Sloth

Surf Sloth Supporting Member

You’re not alone on this one. I noticed that too and I know a few more people did.

GeorgeNada likes this.
  5. Mark Milliron

Mark Milliron Supporting Member

I have owned two Timmy’s and both times I came to the same conclusion. It’s not the sound I’m looking for. With my guitars and amp (Blackstar Artist 15) it was too fuzzy/grainy sounding for what I wanted in a low gainer. So Andy’s demo did represent, for the most part, what I heard when demoing it. I could also hear a difference between the original and the mini in Andy’s video. The mini sounded less full and seemed to have less bite, but that may come down to the way it was dialed in.

With all that said, I didn’t come here to crap on the Timmy. I was genuinely interested in hearing the mini. Paul seems like a great dude and a ton of people love the pedal, so check it out for yourselves before writing it off!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    ballynally and jpagey like this.
  6. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

Musicians friend is now taking pre orders for the mxr timmy

brs928 and hippieboy like this.
  7. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I noticed the difference too, unfortunately. BUT, I'd still totally try one for a small travel board and see if it still sounds good.
    I tend to run the volume on my timmy quite a bit more on the knob than the gain, which pushes the amp a little more. I'm wondering what it would sound like with the volume at 1 o'clock and gain around 10 o'clock?

8. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

What a crummy demo. They both sound different, AND they both sound bad. Or maybe it's a good (as in accurate) demo, but a bad advertisement? If they think that demo is going to move units, uh, think again.

I don't think what we are hearing is a different op-amp, but the mini does have a different op-amp, one I've never heard of, not that I'm any kind of expert. LF353? What's that?

Sonic differences could be part tolerances, and those mini knobs are harder to dial finely, as one must with a timmy. But it could be a circuit change, revision, alteration. Check the product copy - "It’s based on a design created by veteran pedal builder Paul Cochrane."

"Based on" doing a lot of work in that sentence. Between that and the op-amp, clearly, it's not a Timmy V2.

And my grip on my v2 Timmy closes ever tighter.

9. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

According to paul is a timmy v2.

10. Gman10k

Gman10k Member

I own a Timmy v2. As a stand-alone overdrive, I'm not a real fan of the pedal. Where it completely excels is in what I call "more pedal". If you have a good clean base tone and want to fatten it up slightly, the Timmy is perfect for that. Also, if you crunch tone needs a little bit of a tweak to enhance it, Timmy is awesome. It also works great as a solo boost.

If your tone is not great to start with, Timmy will not fix things IMHO.

YMMV...

Regards.

johnnyjj, ballynally, monty and 3 others like this.
  11. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

If the manufacturer is to be believed, it is not. Timmy V2 has a lm4558, I thought, no? So there is at least one difference, potentially more.

It may be negligible sonically, I dunno, but the suggestion that the mxr timmy "is a V2" is apparently false.

Different ≠ same

12. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

I thought the ad copy said “based on”?

13. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

the actual quote is "For those wanting details these are pretty much V2's with the 3-way toggle, but reversed tone controls"

Maybe the "Pretty much" is what is different. :dunno

14. brightstarsecho

brightstarsecho Member

I've owned a v1 Tim and two v1 Timmy's all from back in the day when you had to call Paul's house to get on a 9 month wait list. Paul is a great guy and I'm excited to support him again with this smaller form factor.

I just pre-ordered the MXR partly because of this thread. I think it's a mistake to make a purchase decision solely based on the sound of a single video. For me, it's the smaller size, not the sound. I do agree both pedals sound more fuzz-like than how this circuit has sounded in my various pedalboards over the years. It makes me even more curious to try this new mini version myself.

You have to get the pedal into your rig and listen to it with the way you are playing now. I can't say I'll keep this on my board, but I know I've loved the Timmy's tone in the past, so I'll have to see if it works for my sound now. If it does work out, then I'll have space for another mini pedal to jam on the board. A more crowded pedalboard = a win in my book.

Help!I'maRock! and hippieboy like this.
  15. roblovesolives

roblovesolives Member

I have Timmy.
    I love Timmy.
    I didn't like that.
    I think that is a demo that needs to be redone. That does no-one any favours.

16. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

That’s, like, the first time I’ve ever been disappointed in one of Andy’s demos.

BTW, I’m sure the MXR Timmy is great.

blackba and PurpleJesus like this.
  17. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

What do you mean? True bypass is hardwired.

18. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

It does. Not a good sign.

Would you like to eat a sandwich? It's "based on" the flavors of ham and cheese.

Kevy_Metal and NAME like this.
  19. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Honestly, most ham and cheese is exactly this.

brs928, ChipOnly, PurpleJesus and 2 others like this.
  20. Mark Milliron

Mark Milliron Supporting Member

It’s been awhile since I’ve checked out any Timmy demo videos. I am curious to know what Timmy demos you guys think represent the pedal best?