MXR 'Timmy'

No_Stairway

IMO Timmy runs best as a mostly clean always on boost stacked before a heavy distorted pedal or pushing an amp over the edge. If I was buying it for it's gain it woud have never made my board, but it does want I like it to do SO well.

blackba

I am wondering if the MXR Timmy can be run at 12V like the PaulC made V2? To me that was the key to getting the most out of the V1 Timmy I had. I would also never run the gain as high as Andy did, nor would I not have some cut to the tone controls. I found for me the Timmy shined with running other pedals into it or pushing other dirt pedals or an amp.

Hope there are more demos as the MXR Timmy ramps up.

duality

Why?

V3 is $150 btw.
ah ok. yeah im pretty out of the loop i guess.

i just know people have been scalping v2's on reverb for a while and i thought it might come to an end. i guess theres something about the v2 that's better or more desirable than the v3

hippieboy

ah ok. yeah im pretty out of the loop i guess.

i just know people have been scalping v2's on reverb for a while and i thought it might come to an end. i guess theres something about the v2 that's better or more desirable than the v3
Ohh I know what you mean now, Mmmm people almost always will believe the old ones are better. So hard to tell.

orogeny

IMO Timmy runs best as a mostly clean always on boost stacked before a heavy distorted pedal or pushing an amp over the edge. If I was buying it for it's gain it woud have never made my board, but it does want I like it to do SO well.
100%
This is NOT the 'drive' you use into a clean amp. It IS the kickintheazz right before a plexi or a plexi pedal (La Grange or Direct Drive lately or Boss OD3). It is unsurpassed in this role. UNSURPASSED. You can copy it (hello numerous companies/slackers), but you canNOT surpass it. If, for some reason. . . you just need a clean boost after all yo ****. . . . it equals my Keeley Katana. Damn fine pedal. I once ran three in a row until I realized the DRIVE was not what I wanted in the middle. My dirt is :
push in front of dirt >>>>>>>> marshall sound >>>>>>>make it louder
i COULD use a timmy in first and third position, but i don't anymore. . . because i have a billion pedals and . . . . ya know

Veritas

Silver Supporting Member
They both sounded terrible. Why am I interested? Because the pedal has a lot of hype. I’ve never played a Timmy at all, but was interested in what all the fuss was about.
I don't think that demo is very representative of what it sounds like in person. Frankly, I own a V2 and a V3 and I've never once dialed in my Timmy's to sound like that. I'm not one to usually criticize demo videos, but he made some odd choices with the sounds/settings. I suppose you can make it sound like the video, but I haven't ever done that. The pedal nails the edge of breakup and low gain tones...and it works great as a boost/tone shaper. Just not sure what Andy was going for on this. It wasn't to the pedal's strengths, in my opinion. Either way, I'll try out the MXR version. I'm a fan of that pedal design, so count me curious.

PaisleyWookie

I don't think that demo is very representative of what it sounds like in person. Frankly, I own a V2 and a V3 and I've never once dialed in my Timmy's to sound like that. I'm not one to usually criticize demo videos, but he made some odd choices with the sounds/settings. I suppose you can make it sound like the video, but I haven't ever done that. The pedal nails the edge of breakup and low gain tones...and it works great as a boost/tone shaper. Just not sure what Andy was going for on this. It wasn't to the pedal's strengths, in my opinion. Either way, I'll try out the MXR version. I'm a fan of that pedal design, so count me curious.
yeah, it was just weird because he talks about transparent overdrives, but then dials it in like a fuzz pedal :D

dlc1953

To me the "sweet spot"for my taste on V1 & V2 is 10-12 Gain///10- 12 volume. That Demo was none of those setting's.

Kevy_Metal

Since I've never actually played a Timmy before and the closest I've gotten is using a Mosky TM, I'm more than happy to be able to get my hands on one (or as close to one as possible).

No_Stairway

So these are now available on Sweetwater.... ho hum, do I do it... it's in my shopping cart, free shipping.... damn you GAS.

I have a V2, V3 and NAMM kicks off tomorrow, want vs need... is there a support group?

Trending Topics