Mxr?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Digby, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Digby

Digby Senior Member

So what is MXR doing right these days? When Dunlop took over in the Eighties, I thought they had acquired a bad case of suck. But now I'm hearing good things. I've heard that the MXR Super Comp is quite good, and the Carbon Copy too. What else? Do they make a distortion pedal worth a flip? Please don't say Distortion +...

Digby

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

there are ups and downs with the dunlop ownership. The newest series of hendrix pedals from dunlop are pretty good and I think MXR is getting a bit of a revival. The dynacomp is still pretty much the "comp to have".... I just wish they would do more true bypass pedals, a lot of people don't even consider them an option sometimes because the bypass isn't so great.

3. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

The bypass is fine. The Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face is true bypass.

4. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I recently bought the Carbon Copy and the custom shop 74 phase 90.

Both are excellent sounding pedals and rival the boutiques in price and build for sure......

I heard that new hendrix octavia is excellent as well...

They seem to be putting out some nice quality products at a reasonable price....

5. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

anyway and to be fair...the best records in the catalog of Pink Floyd, Led Zep, AC-DC, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Van Halen, Queen, SRV, and a long etc, were recorded WITHOUT true bypass.
    So who's complaining? mostly tone loving amateurs!!!
    :messedup
    BTW, I just got a Carbon Copy and it's awesome.

Cheers!

6. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Great post and absolutely true !!!

7. wc8485

wc8485 Member

Agreed, good post...
    given too much time to think, and an avenue to hear opinions which may come from a source so far on the other side of the fence... ie... bedroom vs. live... blues style vs. rock... To truly evaluate an opinion, you need all the variables that formed that opinion.
    ie...
    "This pedal sucks tone... when I'm playing at low volumes in my house/apartment."

Personally... I'd take a pic of a pro's board as a sample vs. some bedroom players thoughts on a pedal they used at low volume. Or, tell us how it felt at your band rehearsal/gig...

8. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

not to jump the gun, but the Way Huge connection has to be a major score for them.

I don't have it yet, but a lot of people like the 10 band eq.

9. Digby

Digby Senior Member

AMEN!!!

Just when I was thinking this was a site for doctors, lawyers, engineers etc who had more $$$ than playing skill.

Whew!!

Digby

10. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I think Mr Huge is the one that designed the carbon copy and that thing kicks ass.

I hope they release the camel toe !

11. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

:roll:rolli can't belive there's a pedal called "camel toe"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    if it's a joke it's hilarious, man!:rotflmao:rotflmao

12. Andre357

Andre357 Member

13. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

then it's the all time's greatest pedal name!!!

Coming back to MXR, I agree that Tripps is a great and key addition.
    My first pedal ever (mid 80's) was a Phase 45 (that I still own) and it would be great if they can recover some of that lost mystique...
    :munch

14. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Depends on the application though. Jimmy Page's vox wah was modded to TB... as were all his RM effects. Jimi left his wah with the standard bypass because it dampened some of the intense treble of his marshalls.

Last I checked AC/DC didn't use pedals... and the fuzzfaces used by gilmour and hendrix were TB.... fuzzfaces were TB from day one.

Also when you talk famous recordings you are talking a whole different ballgame from most of the real guitarists out there.... Do ya think all those guys left pedals in the chain they weren't using when they were in the studio?? Pedalboards for live applications will always offer SOME sort of compromise from the studio, but TB is designed to kind of help alleviate some of that.

I'm not a TB snob... I just think that in terms of dollars and cents, the lack of TB hurts them (MXR).... and it seems like they know it since they often advertise the "hardwire bypass".

All I know is that I'm a dynacomp user and it stayed in my clean pedal chain. When it was off it still robbed some of the "fullness" of my clean tone, so I had to turn up the treble to compensate for the high end loss, which made it really easy to get into ice-pick territory. I now stick it in a TB loop and it helps a lot. Given the choice, i wouldn't go back to the old bypass.

15. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

MXR Doubleshot Distortion Is pretty happening

16. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

i respect your "info" and opinion.
    anyway, there's some highly respected booteek builders who disagree. If you look at homepages like Durham Electronics or Pete Cornish they openly are NOT into TB...and Cornish might know "a bit" of this matter don't you think?

17. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

Nah!!! What does he know? The experts here who are overly concerned with "tone suck" know more than him, c'mon! Who do you want to believe, a guy who has built effects pedals and pedalboards for some of the biggest names in music for the last 30 years or a bunch of faceless experts on the internet who we're not even sure have played a gig let alone know if they have great tone? I choose the latter.

18. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

What about the MXR/CAE pedals? I read that Holdsworth uses the booster/od box...

19. Gomez315

Gomez315 Member

I don't think you're going to notice much toneloss with those 100w Marshall/hiwatts but people notice toneloss with the mxr pedals because they're running 5+ true bypass pedals and then they have that mxr pedal that just ruins the tone so the answer would be to have a buffer somewhere in the chain.

20. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I like that MXR used their "signature" pedals to promote artists. Face it, even if you don't like speedmetal, you'll agree that artists in general need promotion.

I like that they are trying hard to recapture the old school pedal designs. Not just the circuit, but the jacks and boxes and construction, too. They're finally doing a Hendrix series worthy of the name.

New pedals from them are encouraging. I'd like to see more "new" designs that were not overdrives like carbon copy, and maybe more reissues, too (phase 45.)

The old pedals were just built so tough. And you could put a switch in yourself if you wanted to.

Bypass issues arise when the MXR pedal is next to another pedal and the impedence is mismatched.