My $100 USA Fender Tele Pawnshop Score !!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Texsunburst59, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

You're kidding right?

I've been doing this for a very long time, and I haggle on ANY guitar, bass, amp,pedal, the same way, no matter how cheap it is.

I'm not rude about it when I'm asking for a cheaper price because of dents or scratches.

I just lay out the facts and use them to see if I can get a better price on the piece of gear.

Most of the time it works,but sometimes I get turned down, and if the price is already really low, I'll still buy it for the asking price.

I know how to talk to people, and haggle in a nice courteous way without offending anyone I'm dealing with.

YOU don't know me, so why would you say I'm not the type of person who deserve a deal like this ?

2. p.mo

p.mo Supporting Member

Hope the owner who got his tele stolen is on TGP and gets it back

saltbird, InkStained and NicDo like this.
  3. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

I find that hard to believe. the local pawnshops I've visited are acutely aware what guitars and amps are worth and price them just below market value.

Texsunburst59 likes this.
  4. mikebat

mikebat Member

congrats!

Personally.....If it wasn't a complete dog, I wouldn't ask for a deal or have any sense that they owed me anything (the case).

I would just pull out my wallet and say "thank you"

5. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

just going by the way you wrote that? not at all.

why?

sorry, i don't think highly of anyone who haggles on everything. i do think that's pretty rude, petty, whatever. in this case (even if it were MIM) it seems like it was already priced low because of the dents/scratches... but you want it even cheaper? gtfo. i might be on your side if you didn't know the difference between USA/MIM/etc and were strictly looking at it as a $100 guitar with some dents/scratches, but you're not. you already knew you got lucky, but that's not good enough for you.

i'd love to see this. post a video next time.

"it should have a case, and i want one" ... "I told them they owed me one, and I be checking back later for one." ... based on this, i think we know you well enough. you sound "entitled", or something. the $100 USA Tele wasn't enough for you, they need to give you a case with it as well? they "owe you one"? man, they owe you nothing.

6. Dale

Dale Member

7. darkwaters

darkwaters Member

$100 and still you haggled !?! I salute you sir. :beer

Jeffj, niassist, Dale and 1 other person like this.
  8. stonem

stonem Member

I get some great deals every blue moon like this and I wont haggle for fear of them discovering their mistake. That's a great guitar OP, congrats!

9. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

And there wasn't even an up-charge for the relic'ing!

Dale likes this.
  10. NicDo

NicDo Member

$100?
    I wouldn't get too attached. Probably stolen.

11. Hot In The Shade

Hot In The Shade Member

I interpreted it as OP trying to do his usual pawn shop negotiation patter so as to not let the guy know something was amiss.

mc5nrg, Dale and Vintage_ like this.
  12. jthomps123

jthomps123 Supporting Member

"they owed you one"? GTFOH.

mystixboi and Headshok like this.
  13. Harryq

Harryq Member

About 7 years ago I found a clean drip-edge 68 Princeton Reverb in a pawn shop I frequent tagged at $78. I didn't ask how much lower they would go. I figured Karma would go Medieval on me if I did that!

ant_riv, Wrmbrnr, Dale and 3 others like this.
  14. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

WOW......I totally feel sorry for the poor sap who got $25 for a Hwy One Tele. ..either he stole it, or he needed some crack.

Dale, fretless and Texsunburst59 like this.
  15. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Member

It's just business, the pawn people expect it. It's kind of weird if you don't haggle a little!

I have one that knows me around here, and they told me last week "Hey, we got some lady that has some old fenders, 50's or 60's. I think she's going to lose her ticket soon, you want us to call you?" This could be everything from a '50 Broadcaster to 80's fullerton reissues, to 90's jap reissues, who knows?! I am excitedly waiting for that call

Duder, fretless, Dale and 2 others like this.
  16. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Alder body.

Fender's sourcing being what it was, these bodies are middlin' to middlin'-heavy. The typical yield (finished guitar) is somewhere around 8 pounds. I've got 5 of these alder Highways and they're pretty much all in this range. Alder is just like that.

Baxtercat, e??? and Texsunburst59 like this.
  17. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I buy A LOT of guitars from this Pawnshop chain, and they all know I will have and I Will ask for a case.

There might be some new clerk who doesn't know me, but one we go to checkout, the manager knows me, and he knows the routine.

Why is this so hard for you to understand?

I was a very rude A Hole, do you think they'd sell to me?

No they wouldn't.

They'd run off and tell me I'm not welcome in their store anymore.

Sorry this bothers you SO much.

Jeffj, niassist, reentune and 2 others like this.
  18. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

That's awesome.

I have several shops that give me heads up on good gear that could be coming out.

Just have to network with these stores, and it can pay odd big time.

Rockinrob86 and Dale like this.
  19. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

That's right. I've got friends who like to visit these pawnshops during their lunch hour, but I always worry about some guy who is running a little high, who comes to your home armed, looking to "get his property back".

I handled a case for a guy whose jewelry appeared to just disappear, while it was pawned - inside job. Most of the customers were impacted, including a super high visibility local TV host. I interviewed a lot of them and many were pleasant, hard working people. But those were the ones who responded to the letters and phone calls. I wonder mostly, about the ones who didn't reply.

20. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Not if you go there all the time. You've IMO got to maintain a solid exterior. Poker face is a good idea. If the owner realizes you just scored a huge outcome, he'll be expecting you to give some of it back on the next transaction. You've got to keep the game thing going, or take a rest from it.