• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

My $100 USA Fender Tele Pawnshop Score !!!

captwillard

I was doing my normal rounds, when I noticed this on a guitar stand in front of the racks.

I saw the $100 price, but I thought for sure it was an MIM.

Couldn't believe they were asking $100 for it.

Took it to the counter and wanted to haggle because of the scratches and dents around the body.

They said it just came out and they wouldn't budge on the price. I asked for the case and they said it didn't come with one.

I said it should have one, and I wanted a case.

They looked but couldn't find one.

I told them they owed me one, and I be checking back later for one.

They were OK with that.

I haven't had a chance yet to put is through it's paces, but the neck feels great and it doesn't weight a ton.

I don't normally post a pic of the receipt, but I didn't want anyone to cal BS on me.

I'm not sure it originally came with a case.

Especially when dripping with Toanz!
The pickups on this guitar (if stock) are awful.

Hyper-overwound A3, plastic bits - no metal base plate.

You could keep the neck pickup, but FMIC usually does so much better.

The Story behind these goofed pickups is this: Execs were focused on the Strat version and they were obsessed with adding more winds to the stock Highway Strat pickups when they did their "Upgrade" campaign to rejuvenate sales. There was also pressure to have the pickups be RWRP so Fender made that so. But what about the Stepchild Telecaster product? FMIC wanted the Sales Talk to match on both products so the doofuses added more winds to the Tele pickups also. Also made 'em RWRP but that's not the point. The pickups were already too harsh, and they just made them worse because this supposedly made them more "Pedal Friendly" or some nonsense.

I always threaten to pull stock pickups from my guitars in this price range, but this was the instance where I really did it - all 5 of my Highway Teles have Fralins or Seymours or Fender OVs or No-Casters, etc.

Repeat: These Highways from FMIC were supposed to get a Deluxe Gig Bag. A case would have been a separate transaction. But many were sold through GC, and got nothing at all.

Last edited:

mikebat

Not if you go there all the time. You've IMO got to maintain a solid exterior. Poker face is a good idea. If the owner realizes you just scored a huge outcome, he'll be expecting you to give some of it back on the next transaction. You've got to keep the game thing going, or take a rest from it.
I am no sucker, but I am not in need of the validation that I am a keen bargainer either. I mean, the success that we have earned has to worth something, and not begging for a better price may just be one of those somethings. It is for me, at least. I do not get any satisfaction in the hunt, I prefer the meal afterwards.

If something is full price or over priced, and it is the type of retail where their is discretionary pricing (cars, guitars etc), I ask for a special price or discount "can you do something on that price- and look in their eyes" .....but I won't hammer away at a deal that is not there because it is a pissing contest. If they don't bend and I think they are over pricing the item, I just say thanks and walk away.

Last edited:

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Just for those of us not in the know, how do you know it's a Highway One?

I can see some kind of dance to reassure the pawn shop: "Can you work with me on the price? I'll give you $80." is kind of expected and done gently isn't going to ruffle any feathers. Accepting "no" gracefully is part of the dance. I find the "you owe me a case and I'll be back for it" threat a little strange. Pawn shops here and in Edmonton would just shrug, or refuse to sell the guitar to me if I pulled that kind of attitude. It seems to cross the line from bargaining to manipulation.

And, it's hard to believe I guess, I do understand needing every penny from a transaction to make it work with family finances. When we moved down here, we owned a car and had a down payment on a house and that was it, so if I wanted to buy a new guitar I had to sell the old one at a slight profit. My brother in law started collecting in the late 80s and successfully built a pretty nice collection with very little money input. Both of us try not to cross that divide between savvy shopper and jerk...

Texsunburst59

Maybe but the way he said the owe him a case(among a few other things). Left a sour taste in my mouth.

Do you Know the tone and context I used when I was doing the deal?

I matter of fact told them that I want a case and they were willing to go to the back and find one, but they didn't.

I just said they owed me one and said I could come by to pick it up when one is available.

They didn't have a problem with it, I don't know why so many are bothered.

hank57

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Tan pants tan guitar? Awesome score. I like the color.

mystixboi

Do you Know the tone and context I used when I was doing the deal?

I matter of fact told them that I want a case and they were willing to go to the back and find one, but they didn't.

I just said they owed me one and said I could come by to pick it up when one is available.

They didn't have a problem with it, I don't know why so many are bothered.
Ok

naveed211

Nice score.

Best I ever did was an American Standard Tele for $400 when Best Buy was closing down their music department. I couldn’t have gotten that thing to the front counter faster and was just waiting for the “Actually...”

Flipped it immediately.

Hagglers fit Sam Rothstein's description of Lester Diamond:
Haggling is more common in World Culture than the absence of it.

I remember watching some Ugly Americans throwing money around at a bazaar in Jamaica and there was no love whatsoever between the customer and the craftsperson/salesperson. I can be culturally dense but this was so evident to me. So, once the people stinking of money left, I greeted the salesperson and let her know, she could let out some of the frustration she was showing on her face. We exchanged a lot of thoughts and when it was time for us to bargain for some items, we made sure we were spirited about it. The local woman liked us so much she pulled out some real cool, concealed items she'd been holding back. The exchange was about respect, as much as anything.

It really pissed me off when we lost some of those things, in Katrina.

niassist

Garage Rock Star
Gold Supporting Member
Seems to be some bashing of the OP. Pretty sure that's against TGP rules.

Trending Topics