My $100 USA Fender Tele Pawnshop Score !!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Texsunburst59, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

So was slavery. It has since been done away with. The same should happen to haggling.

2. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Ha, I love the haggling. If nothing else it is a great diversion. Verbal slight of hand, so to speak. Seller's attention is divided.

3. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

this is all a little different if "they know you" and you have a relationship with them where what you wrote in the OP doesn't come off as completely "rude customer" behavior. makes sense now, but if you weren't a regular customer i'd think it's a bit pushy.

mystixboi likes this.
  4. bojocatkite

bojocatkite Member

You should have asked to talk to the manager about the absence of paperwork, case and clear indication of the weight.

Texsunburst59 likes this.
  5. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

Have you sold anything lately? No matter how low you price anything, there will always be some [fill in the blank] asking for a discount. Never fails.

6. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

For the record, the Pawnshops don't have personal attachment to the gear and don't take it personal.

It's part of the business and they expect it.

It's nothing like selling one in one.

Jeffj, Boris Bubbanov and DCross like this.
  7. StratmanSteve

StratmanSteve Member

No, they didn't. I have a Hwy1 Tele and Strat. Love them both.
    Nice buy!! Congrats!:cool:

Boris Bubbanov and Texsunburst59 like this.
  8. DCross

DCross Member

If the pawnshop is legit, and there is no reason to believe that they aren't, then there is nothing wrong with this deal, other than the guitar is a little heavier than I'd like (but not HOTTER). Lots of places screw up prices. Doesn't mean anything illegal happened on any side of the transaction.

Geez, folks. Leave the guy alone and let him enjoy those hot pickups. I mean, bright, not stolen. Whatever.

edited to add: Oh and... HAGGLING ???!!! In a PAWNSHOP???!!! BAD???!!! If you think you should buy anything in a pawnshop WITHOUT trying to haggle, at least a little, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I'll let you have for a really good price... no really, it was my Uncle Vinny's.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  9. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Wow.

You should've been there the other day, at the Pharmacy. The poor woman needed medication, overdue dosages and not talking about anything Narcotic, and the Pharmacy had raised the price again and the woman tried to appeal to them as the price (she said) had increased 600% in the last 8 years. She just didn't have enough cash (was maybe $ 250 short) and the poor woman tried a little civil disobedience. As my girlfriend forced me to leave the store, it looked like they were arresting the woman for disturbing the peace.

Anyway, when my law office customers couldn't pay full price, I accepted something less. That's what human beings are supposed to do. It is called compassion and human understanding.

Your comment about slavery is freaky, with all due respect.

10. fretless

fretless Silver Supporting Member

A few things tip off clearly that it’s a Highway 1. The bridge has the horizontal Fender stamp with straight chrome saddles for one. This was unique to that model. The semi gloss nitro finish is another. Lastly the decal on the headstock matches the 2nd generation Hwy 1.

monty likes this.
  11. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

That's how I roll. And it's no less freaky than you comparing a luxury item to life-sustaining medication or freedom-enhancing legal services. Compassion and human understanding don't come into play when someone is trying to acquire more junk they can't afford simply to pretend they're a rebellious rocker.

But you do raise a good point. Why don't hagglers do their thing at pharmacies, grocery stores, hardware stores, etc.? Why is their scumbaggery restricted to used car lots, pawn shops and guitar stores?

Gevalt likes this.
  12. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

[​IMG]

13. Kizanski

Kizanski Member

Oh no. I hope he is able to rise above this soul-crushing critique.
    Don't worry. He's a big boy, not some veal with a Facebook account looking for something to get cyber offended about.

14. LBXPDX

LBXPDX Member

When one haggles, the worst the other party can say isn’t no, so why not try. I haggled the bill from the lawyer down 10% by paying cash. Did you stop talking to women because one says no? Life is nothing more than a series of haggles if you think about it.

Baxtercat and Texsunburst59 like this.
  15. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

i'm guessing he at least stopped telling them that they "owed him one" just because he bought them dinner, and that "he'd be back for it". :p

16. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

They say humor is the something of something. I forget.

With all due respect, sometimes it equals aggression.

I can't do the pawnshop thing because my brain just completes sentences in sinister ways. Probably some ex girlfriend was getting rid of something a fellow left behind 6 years ago and the idea was, give the receipts to Charity or something. Rather than throw it in the dumpster.

But I'd buy guitars at closeout from Guitar Center all day long at prices that once made yall's eyes pop out. I cannot imagine some poor, hungry corporation. Never seen such a creature.

Everyone has a little different groove. You've got to get along.

17. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

You can't blame him for trying. I give the store credit for standing their ground. I had to do the same thing today with a prospect who continued to talk me down after I gave him my bottom line. You just say no, that's it. Can't go any lower. Take it, or leave it.

18. mtayl339

mtayl339 Member

This would be me after finding a score like that:

[​IMG]

I just don't have the balls to haggle, although I wish I did. I also wish I had a $100 Telecaster. :(

fretless, monty and Texsunburst59 like this.
  19. Yamaha 1421

Yamaha 1421 Supporting Member

Skip is a super nice guy and a good friend,he has been doing this for a long time and has gotten some stunning deals,he knows what to look for and where to look. As far as HOW the guitar made its way into the pawn shop Skip's not responsible for that.

fretless and Texsunburst59 like this.
  20. jthomps123

jthomps123 Supporting Member

I dont have a problem with haggling, the post just came off as entitled or something. The guitar is was clearly mis-priced or mis-identified... yet this attitude of 'well scratches, no case... i'll take it off your hands but you owe me!' is off-putting.