My $100 USA Fender Tele Pawnshop Score !!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Texsunburst59, Apr 22, 2019.

1. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Supporting Member

This makes me want to go to the local pawns. I need to visit them more. Find me a deal!

2. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Supporting Member

Wow.

3. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

right, i see how this situation might look quite different in person.

4. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

Wow, amazing, congrats! I have crazy pawn shop stories, good and bad.

Texsunburst59 likes this.
  5. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Have to admit, that's an awesome find. I never find anything like that...LOL. I have no idea why people are giving you so much crap - It's just a pawnshop. They do this all day long...doesn't anyone watch Pawnstars? [I know I know...it's Hollywood - sort of]

6. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Member

This is not buying from an unsuspecting old lady trying to sell her late husband's gear or something...

Keep in mind that at the other side of the counter there's a business that managed to take a nice guitar off someone who was probably down on their luck or battling their demons - for $25-50.

I once saw a guy try to sell a JCM2000 50w at a pawn shop. They offered him $80 (after clearly looking it up online). And he was considering it because he needed any money.
    While he's pacing around thinking about it, I managed to call the guy to a corner and told him to just walk out and I'd buy it from him. Gave him $400 for it, which was what I had available for gear at that time. Good deal for me and much better for him. He told me he had lost his job and was struggling to get his meds and if I wasn't there he would have taken the 80.

I have no regrets from undercutting that store. Zero.

Sympathy for pawn shops? Go in as a seller and tell me if they cater to your emotions and make you a fair offer.

Tex, go get your case man. And congratulations (again).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    fretless, coldengray, monty and 3 others like this.
  7. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

Self righteous cyber warriors! You go girls!

fretless, Jeffj and Kizanski like this.
  8. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Lucky you.

9. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

...they 'owe' you a case?
    for a $100 mia tele? AND you tried to haggle the price??

OP does not deserve said tele.

flysky578 likes this.
  10. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Thanks Billy.

You've been around long enough how all this works

You're right about the shops giving as little as the can to customers and never give it another thought.

On the backend they're going to squeeze as much as the can for the $1000 guitar they're trying to sell, they gave $100 for.

guitarbilly74 and Rockinrob86 like this.
  11. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Really nice score!
    I also agree that pawn shops are really squeezy and in some way do deserve a deal falling through their fingers. There are laws set in states that limit how much interest they can charge. It's robbery and I feel for those who have to use pawn shops to get by.
    Everyone has their buying style. If something is that good of a score, I typically just sweep it up and go. Haggling on a case for a used instrument is like demanding a power supply for a $30 1980 TS808.

fretless likes this.
  12. LBXPDX

LBXPDX Member

This chain of pawn shops, if they are the ones I’m thinking about, generally separate the cases from the guitars unless they are very specific or high end as the cases take up storage space. I purchased 7 cases for $15 from the same company a few weeks ago, if it is who I think it is.

So get off your high horses about him being an ass for asking/wanting a case.

Some people have the ability to impart humor in simple text, most don’t. I have a feeling the OP may have been attempting to do so and by the responses, he obviously failed.

And now I’m headed to the pawnshop.

13. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

pawn shops are way better than a check cashing place

fretless and Texsunburst59 like this.
  14. minimal fretwear

minimal fretwear Supporting Member

Yeah. My initial though was that if it was me, I'd try to finish up that deal as smooth as possible to minimize chances for some one to give that price a second look and saying "hey, wait a minute!". I'd be out of that store with the guitar as smooth and as quick as I could be. There is a time and place for haggling and asking for extras, and there is a time to accept victory when it happens and not mess it up by trying to win more.

Anyways, congrats to the OP for getting a nice guitar!

15. gjohnson441496lpjr

gjohnson441496lpjr Member

sweet!

16. gjohnson441496lpjr

gjohnson441496lpjr Member

You gotta admit that he made some bold moves! I personally like his style.

A hundred dollars for this Fender pos is too much!
    I want a case gimme a case NOW!
    I'm coming back for my case a-hole and you better have it or I'm gonna burn your place down!

monty likes this.
  17. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

I bought a Hwy1 Strat when GC was blowing them out for $380. They brought one out from the back, pulled the gig bag out and handed me the guitar only. I said "What about the gig bag?" They said "It's $380, you got to be kidding me!"

monty and Texsunburst59 like this.
  18. monty

monty Member

That is BS on their part. If they are selling it as new the gig bag comes with it.

fretless and Texsunburst59 like this.
  19. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

Yeah, dick move by Guitar Center trying to get $30.00 extra bucks out of each guitar sold.

20. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

I always get a kick out of folks reactions to these type threads....

OP...here is what you should have done....explained to the "poor pawn shop clerk" that they had this guitar priced too low & paid them fair market price for a HWY1 Tele (you know, since they probably paid a fair price for it....obviously). While you were there, you should have went through the entire inventory & helped them true up all the prices on the overpriced wore out circular saws, HP laptops, etc. GTFOH

On a real note....I would have done the exact thing as you, although I would have asked if it came with the "speaker thingy" to get some sound of it.

On another real note, the only person you folks need to be pissed off at or feel "sad" for is the poor soul that pawned it. Maybe he/she stole it, maybe he/she has a habit they are trying to fund, maybe he/she couldn't give two sh*ts about a guitar they cared nothing about & sold it to buy Pokemon cards.....either way, get over yourself & your self righteousness.