My 15 year old son, again...wailing in a Angus/Jimmy/etc... kinda way

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by gennation, Oct 5, 2006.

1. gennation

gennation Member

Now he's making his own videos! Hope he ONLY does the guitar related ones [​IMG]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jAF-eR2j454

I think he beleives there's an audience watching [​IMG] The kid cracks me up, but he can jam.

Enjoy!

2. Strat335

Strat335 Member

That made my morning, he was really getting into it! I have some questions if you don't mind. How long has he been interested in guitar and when did he start playing? Did you just play a lot around him and he decided to pick it up, or did you suggest that he start? Did you give him an acoustic first, or just put an SG in his hands when he was in diapers? The reason I ask is that I have a 5 year old son and a 6 year old granddaughter that are around my playing a lot. My granddaughter I don't think wants any part of it, but my son is a very good singer as far as singing in key and his talent is spooky. I mean, as in singing Glenn Hughes' songs, and Creed (but I have finally got him away from the latter, thought it was going to drive me nuts! LOL). I want him to play guitar but I don't want to push it on him. I don't remember not having a guitar in my hands, but so far he doesn't seem to want to play much....just sing....I was just curious as to how your son got started. He is awesome, you must be very proud. I remember the age and the passion for it, too, it was a great time in my life learning, eating and breathing lead guitar. Tell him I thought he was great. If you really want to piss him off, tell him no more rock until he learns every Roy Nichols lick. LOL

3. gennation

gennation Member

I've played guitar around him when he was still in the womb!

He didn't want ANYTHING to do with it until he saw the movie "School of Rock", he was 12 at the time. And, my two daughters 14 and 8 at the time, had a spark of interest after seeing the movie. So, in like one week I was showing three of my four kids how to play guitar and or bass.

School of Rock was like an epiphany to them!

My son is the one who seriously latched on though and went beyond "Smoke on the River" (that what he used to call it), White Stripes stuff, Iron Man, etc...he started getting into Vai and Clapton and Zep, etc...

I've only recently started giving him formal lessons, and they are mainly to show him how to read. But, generally he'd come to man would first start asking how to play a song, then it turned into some techniques he heard, which led to a few scales, etc...

But 95% of the time it was just him playing constantly and getting things better through repetition.

As far as a guitar...years ago I bought a half-scale (minature) Flying V. It was built good had a Dimarzio in it. So, after I got over the novelty of it I packed it up to save it for the day when I might have kids.

My son and two daughters started on by passing it around. Now, it's in the possession of my fourth child, a 6 year old. She's starting to carry it around like her older siblings do.

I ended up getting my son a beater Start-style, then about a year later he went bonkers over ACDC. So, I got him a cheap Epi SG Special, then a few months later he got the G400 he's playing in the video.

So any words of wisdom from me...let the kids see School of Rock when they're about 10-12, make sure you have a half scale guitar around, and let them go off and do there own thing and only inteject when they want you to.

Good luck!

4. unoguitar

unoguitar Member

A big reality check for me. I've been playing oh so long (see sig) and still these young cats come along and pass me by with a mere 2 or 3 years playing time.....

5. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

I LOVE IT... The kid has his head in the right place(s), for sure. How's he gotten all those licks down with only 3 years under his belt?

6. scottl

scottl Member

Just great Mike!!!

You must be a proud dad!!!

Kid has a nice natural sense of time and phrasing btw......

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

After watching this, I really hate myself.....:(

8. sovtekking

sovtekking Member

haha, great playing....

9. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

totally makes me want quit playing guitar.... :dude

10. Boogs

Boogs Member

My daughter goes to the Paul Green School Of Rock (the original one in Philly) that the movie was based on! She shreds like that too, and it kills me! :D

I love having kids. Even if they are much smarter and more talented than I am. ;)

Oh yeah, and your son RIPS!!!

11. m4tt

m4tt Member

Reminds me of me at 15. No worries of gear or anything, just playing the damn thing.

props to your lad

12. 900

900 Member

That was way cool! :AOK :AOK :AOK

He's playing tree years? Hopefully he keeps up and doesn't loos interest. Great chops, time feel and phrasing as already stated by scottl.

13. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

(*%&&)_)()(^*(%&$)()_&*(& !!!!!!! :AOK:AOK:AOK

14. jspax7

jspax7 Member

What a great kid! It's great to see someone so young playing at such a high level. Talk about potential,.... :dude

15. BobboVisMe

BobboVisMe Member

WOW... He's not only got good chops but good classic rock influences .. backing it up .. Nice !!:RoCkIn

16. jammath

jammath Member

Great playing!!:RoCkIn You got it goin' on:dude :dude :dude

17. OleRoy

OleRoy Member

I was just thinking the same thing. Man...if my Gibson only sounded that good with me playing it! I had no idea an Epi could sound anywhere near that good (not to mention with a kid playing it)!!!! Your kid will be tearing up stadiums when he's 18. Get the car warmed up...you're going to L.A.

I was just fixing to post a tune on the soundclips page...I think I'll pass now.

18. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

Man, that was fun to watch. Wife thought it was great too. Nice chops and as said earlier. . . nice roots. One of my sons, a 6 year old, watced for about 15 seconds and went back to playing XBOX.:jo Maybe when they're around 12. . . as I do own a copy of that movie as well. :RoCkIn

19. gennation

gennation Member

Hey thanks for checking it out, and for the props!

I made a mistake, he's NOT 15, he 14, oops. He'll be 15 at the beginning of the new year. He's been about 2 1/2 years now. Started at about 12 1/2.

Sorry about that.

I'm definitely proud of him, obviously at whatever he does.

I think the best think is that he is into classic rock, it just oozes out of him. He's developed a lot of techniques naturally...it amazws the wife and at time when we hear some of the stuff that comes out of his room.

20. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

That kid is already fantastic.

It's scary to think how good he'll be later on.

You see a lot of vids of young phenoms but they're usually missing something, some kind of technical flaw like bends not quite there, or maybe like a kind of "forced" feel to it like they know the notes but they don't really have a feel for the style.

Not so here. I didn't hear him skipping a beat in that whole thing and he was obviously just winging it. Very fluid. He definitely understands how to rock.

I hate him!

No, just kidding. Keep up the good work, both of you.