My 1st O/D Distortion pedal!!?? HEEEEELP!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zozoe, Feb 20, 2012.

1. zozoe

zozoe Member

After 40+ years of playing, my set-ups were fairly gainy & cool,,,Mesa's, Marshall, with h'buckers, so lack of gain was never an issue, BUT Strats/Tele's have won me over in my older age, (i even started building them), and my rig is mid 90's VOX AC30 & BUDDA, almost full out, but with my MINI-MASS down one notch or two to take away any ear bleeding,,,,,

So it being a basically cleaner setup, i want a pedal for leadwork,,neck & bridge, something harmonically rich, a good controlled feedback generator(which is my pet peev), something VOX friendly,,,nuff said??? There must be 50,000 pedals out there, BUT here are some I've heard & others that simply look cool, so please don't flood me with a thousand alternatives UNLESS there's a VERY obvious pedal out there (no fuzz, no buzz), just harmonic gain bliss:

OCD, XOTIC AC, PLIMSOUL, MAXON, KEELY'S BOSS BLUES DRIVER, and what's this BBLUES OVERDRIVE PRO made by PEDAL TANK (Thailand company & offers a cheap 3 way diode switch), CMAT MODS BROWNIE, or their Signa Drive & SUPER SIGNA DRIVE. I was hoping to stay around $100, but I may need to crack the auxiliary piggy bank.
    Thanks foro sticking this one out! Kenny

2. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

The OCD is a great place to start. Versatile and the price is right!

3. Jesus freak

Jesus freak Supporting Member

A stock blues driver sounds good also, if ya dont crank the drive.

4. Marrrty

Marrrty Member

Yep I agree, can get a little ice picky though. In my experience the tone knob is useless past 11 oclock. Way too bright. Nice for low gain though, or pushing an amp a little harder. I eventually replaced mine with an OCDv4.

So yeah.... Get an OCD

5. zozoe

zozoe Member

No Plimsoul advocates here, huh? Thanks, folks Yeah either OCD or PLIM i think

6. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

You can't go wrong with a Rat.

7. dascher

dascher Member

Any kind of Tubescreamer works for my AC15

8. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Member

:agree

OCD is a good starter one too, it was my bandmate's first and he still uses it.

9. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Not in your price range (but worth the increase as you are getting 2 channels for the price of 1) but the Blackstone OD is probably the best OD for single coils (IMO obviously).

Plus you get 2 channels in an MXR size enclosure. It has a switchable buffer, which means when its off, it needs to be first in chain and is very, very interactive with you pick-ups. With it on, it can be placed anywhere in the chain. It still has good clean-up and what not but not as much.

It's very dynamic, tweakable with internal tweaks. @ channels, one lower gain, the other higher gain that has a gain adjustment for either single coils or humbuckers (I like the single coils side for both personally).

And its one of the classiest looking pedals on the market.

Just all around a good pedal.

10. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

A Hotcake is going to sound awesome and will cost you from $100-$140 used

The OCD is a great place to start.

11. HitTheCity

HitTheCity Member

For Vox friendly I would agree with those who have suggested the Hotcake and BD-2. Try grab a Keeley modded BD-2 if you can.

12. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

Harmonically rich: see Skreddy Screwdriver.

13. nl128

nl128 Silver Supporting Member

14. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

One SD was in the emporium was for $160 the other day. A bit above the OP's price range, but a real bargain if he could break open the piggy bank.