My 1x12 Cabinet needs a Cheap Tube Amp Head

Nonvintage

Recommendations under $250 appreciated. It will be used in a 5 piece Blues Band. It needs to be as loud as a Deluxe reverb amp.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Jet City amps are probably the best cheap amp you can get, but they are more of a modded Marshall type. If you're doing strat neck, neck/middle pickups into them, they're not horrible ... but you'd probably be better off with a Peavey of some sort. Sometimes, simply exploring the local used market on Craigslist and other sites can get you to some interesting finds in the low price range.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Actually, I just experimented and proved myself wrong with the Jet City, sounds great with single coils if you're using a large cab and the right speaker.

mlj_gear

Honestly in that price range there's not much, and if tone is the only consideration, you might be better off with something solid state like a Katana head, one of the mini Vox heads, a Quilter InterBlock, or a used DV Micro or something.

If you're set on tubes you'll probably need to get lucky with your local Craigslist or pawn shop to get a decent tube head for that price.

Wait: I see something... There are a couple of use Crate V33 heads on Guitar Center's site for around $250 (plus shipping). V30s/V32s can actually sound pretty decent in my experience. It seems like most people think the V33 was a step in the wrong direction, though.

Last edited:

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I would pull the pennies from my loafers and up my budget.

But if you insist on below $250, either embrace SS or make it used (Sweetwater, for example, doesn't even sell a tube head below $250).

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
Bugera V22 head. Just don’t get an older one with QC issues. Not sure what year they got better. A little investigating would probably figure it out.

Not much in that range for 20w+ heads. If you go up to $400-$500, they’ll be way more options. Even $350 can get you a Peavey C20MH.

Todd Lynch

I bought a Mooer Little Monster BM (5 watts) and was very surprised by the volume from it through a WGS Veteran 30 in an open back cab. I normally use a mid-70's Deluxe.

Peavey Classic 30 might be your best bet. Classic 20 mini-head might get you there.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Bugera V22 head. Just don’t get an older one with QC issues. Not sure what year they got better. A little investigating would probably figure it out.
Where are you finding this for <$250?

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
Where are you finding this for <$250?

Ya, everything has nudged up a bit. Still, with a little patience and putting in some offers, I’m sure one can be scored for $250 in not much time. There aren’t any used V22HD’s currently on the GC site but I’ve seen plenty of them for around $250. Even as low a $200. They’re only $400 brand new :dunno

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
search this Reverb link for VHT handwired point-to-point heads in your target price range. Great value and easy to maintain:

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
im sorry but saying “i want a good tube head to be about 15 - 22 watts, worthy of gigging, for $250” is really silly and borderline ignorant of modern offerings.

get a solid state. thats what your budget commands and you’ll likely get a much better sounding amp than the cheapest of tube amps.

get a used katana or save up so as to increase your budget.

Last edited:

socalscott

Used PV ValveKing's cost near the same as their old SS amps. They have an Class A/B blender and Tight/Loose pot too.
I see a CL ad $150 for 50W combo and $200 for a 100W head!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom