My #2 Kemper tip

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by journo, Apr 25, 2016.

1. journo

journo Member

Hi,

Encouraged by the response to my #1 Kemper tip, here's my #2 tip.

In my mindset there are two things that will define how much I will like an amp. How it sounds and how it feels to play. "Feel" in this case is how the amp reacts to how I play. Ever since I got the KPA, almost 5 years ago now, I have been amazed how well it reacts to my right hand dynamics, i.e. how hard I hit the strings.

Over the years I have found out that I can actually control and change how the KPA profiles reacts and thus also alter the "feel" to suit my playing.

In general I want my clean stuff to be a bit more elastic in feel and the high gain stuff to be a bit stiffer and more immediate. A good vintage Marshall should be somewhere in between those two.

So how do I do this? There may be more ways than this, but I have found this to work really well for me.
    All it takes is to go to the Amplifier edit page and locate the Definition parameter (far left) and Compression (far right). The Definition alters both the sound and the feel. Lower values gives a spongier attack and less of some treble frequencies. I don't mind the loss of those treble frequencies as I feel they don't so much belong in my clean sounds anyway and that it's easy to add some with the eq (set to Pre, see my KPA #1 tip). Sometimes I'm happy with the result I get with just adjusting Definition but more often than not I want to feel a little bit more snap in the attack and that's where Compression come in. When I turn down the Definition parameter I get a slightly less immediate attack and that change in feel I can counteract and correct with some Compression. Please note that I'm talking about the Compression parameter in the Amplifier block, NOT the Compressor effect in a Stomp block.

When adjusting the Definition, please note that a little goes a long way. Sometimes it takes as little as a 0.1 change for me to be happy, and sometimes quite a bit more. Also, when you are adjusting the Compressor parameter, please don't pay too much attention to the actual value when adjusting here. Go by your ear! The reason for saying this is that when I first started getting into adjusting this parameter, I was thinking in terms of my stomp compressors and was thinking that it can't possibly be right to use this much compression. This compression is very different from stomp compression and nowadays I'm not afraid of high values here. If it feels good and sound good, it IS good!

Finally, this is to get the profiles to feel good to YOU. And as we are all individuals your settings will vary from others. It's also about the sound and feel of the profile. Don't be afraid to add some Stomp Compression to get the traditional compression effects. I love the KPA compressor and think it's the best compressor I have ever used for guitar, digital or analog! I may even write a KPA tip on that too at a later date.

This concludes my #2 tip. I hope you will find it useful. If you have any questions, comments and suggestions for additions to this tip, write away!

Cheers,

Mats N

2. m~Dan

m~Dan Member

Definition and Compressor (does anyone know where/how this compressor actually works?) are definately very useful, I play around with these values a lot as well.
    I also like the Clarity on the second page... whatever it does, it sometimes takes away the harsh treble.

Jose7822 likes this.
  3. duaneflowers

duaneflowers Member

Behind a Killer Les Paul Somewhere in Japan
    Great tip... again!!! Keep 'em coming!!!

4. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

Thanks to Michael Britt I've learned to tweak those two parameters first before I even start touching the EQ. And I agree that a little goes a long way when tweaking these. Thanks for sharing!

m~Dan likes this.
  5. tomaburque

tomaburque Member

Journo, you're my second favorite Swede now (after Noomi Rapace)! How did I miss this one as this parameter makes a profound difference, it's not at all subtle. I guess I've just been lazy because I plug in a profile and it sounds great so I play. For me a lot of the pleasure of the KPA is hearing what the pick is doing. For many years I used a Dunlap 2mm hard plastic with beveled edges. Nowadays I have a little glass bowl sitting near where I play with an assortment of different kinds of picks in different gauges and it's fun hearing the difference in the attack with the different picks.

6. journo

journo Member

Hey Tom,

Glad to be in second place. Noomi is absolutely awesome. :D
    Also glad you found the #2 tip useful.

Cheers,

Mats N