my 2 new strats - partscaster & CS relic

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by beNsteR, Feb 25, 2008.

1. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

i finally got my version of a '1965 strat replica' assembled , and also got a used 2006 CS Relic strat recently in a trade.

so i decided to take a photo shoot of my 2 new strats..
    [​IMG]
    left - '1965 strat' replica in Burgundy Mist Metallic, right - Fender custom shop 1960 relic in Ice Blue Metallic with matching headstock. amp - Marshall Handwired 2061X halfstack.
    [​IMG]
    with flash
    [​IMG]
    headstock shot
    [​IMG]

here's the specs for the 1965 strat replica:
    Body: Warmoth lightweight 2-piece Swamp Ash body, thin Burgundy Mist finish, S-S-S + vintage trem routing
    Neck: Warmoth Pro, flamed Maple with Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard, pearl dots. SRV neck shape, 10-16' compund radius, 22 stainless steel 6105 frets.
    Pickups: Kinman Woodstock Plus set with K7 blender wiring, CTS pots & 0.047 uf Sprague Orange Drop cap
    Hardware:
    tuners: Gotoh Kluson replicas
    bridge: Gotoh 6-screw vintage trem with steel block (as used in Suhr Classics) with 5 springs
    others: Warmoth mint green pickguard and backplate

i got the Warmoth built as an experiment to see if i could do up a parts strat to sound as good as a boutique/custom shop strat.

while the CS Relic is a great example of a vintage-style strat - sweet, clear sounding. not to mention an aweseom aging/checking job..

in all honesty, to me, in a real-world gigging setting, the warmoth plays and sounds better than the CS Relic.
    its built more like a modern/boutique strat.
    the light swamp ash and brazilian rosewood ring like a bell. the neck is smooth like an Ernie Ball neck. the stainless frets plus compound radius make for effortless, silky smooth bends.

the Kinmans are rich, aggressive and articulate sounding, and are noiseless - but retain about 90% of the chime and quack of a single coil. they'll be much richer and fuller in a band context as compared to the lower output 60's CS pickups.

and the warmoth cost less than half the new price of the relic. i'm blown away.

can't wait to compare it to a suhr/tyler :rolleyes:

here's the specs for the Fender custom shop 1960 relic (2006 model):
    Body: premium 2-piece Alder body, aged nitro thinskin Ice Blue Metallic finish, S-S-S + vintage trem routing
    Neck: Maple with red African Rosewood fingerboard. Matching headstock, clay dots. 1960 neck shape, 7.25' radius, 21 nickel medium jumbo frets (custom option).
    Pickups: aged Custom Shop 60's pickups with blender wiring, CTS pots & Sprague Orange Drop 0.022 uf cap (added by me)
    Hardware:
    tuners: aged Fender/Gotoh Kluson replicas
    bridge: aged 6-scre Fender vintage trem with steel block, with 5 springs
    others: aged mint green pickguard and backplate

2. damo7v

damo7v Member

Nice to see another one on here! Your 'board looks very different from mine:

[​IMG]

3. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

man.. your board looks awesome! very nice figure compared to my Relic's. mine's a light red. i'm told its African or Madagascar Rosewood.

4. damo7v

damo7v Member

Thanks.

Do you know much about this model? The part number on the hang tag of mine didn't mesh with anything currently on Fender's site.

5. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

its not a standard time machine model, probably a limited run.

6. hardys

hardys Member

Great looking guitars Benster! :drool

I've built 2 Strats and 1 Tele from Warmoth necks & bodies and assorted hardware from Callaham, Wilkinson, Sperzel, Fralin, Lollar & DiMarzio (Area 58 & 61). All three guitars have been equal to, or surpassed every new Fender Custom Shop I've compared them to. I did send them all off to Phil Jacoby to have them PLEK'D and bone nuts installed. Although they work okay, I don't like the bright white Corian nuts or the nut height that Warmoth does, so I get Phil to install real bone.

It's great making music with a guitar you slapped together yourself! :AOK Not unlike catching a trout on a fly you've tied yourself.

Here's some pics of my Warmoth pieces.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

hardys, great looking axes you got there. i'm a firm believer that if it's good wood that is built nicely and assembled properly, it doesn't matter which company made it.

i will be getting a bone nut done soon for my warmoth. the stock corian nut was cut a little low, and from experience, a well cut bone nut can only make it sound better. :)

8. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

9. hardys

hardys Member

Thanks guys. I just put together a Lake Placid Blue Strat and will post some pics when I get a chance. :BEER

10. KazJY

KazJY Member

The question is: Which will you play more? ;-)