My 2nd Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spiritofeden, Feb 10, 2008.

1. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I have a Keeley 2 knob comp and I'd like to add to my pedal board a 2nd one. Since I like what the Keeley can do after all my OD I'd like a natural and trasparent compressor at the beginnig of the chain. I'm very interested in the JANGLEBOX that seems to be very vintage sounding (Yummy!) and also perfect for 12 strings electric (and I happen to have a rare Danelectro;-).
    What else? Diamond? Demeter? Barber? Any suggestion is welcome...
    Just remember: It must be different from Keeley, trasparent, natural and not modern...

2. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

bjf pgc is the most perfect compressor i have ever heard.

3. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

the aya r-comp is pretty awesome.

4. giggedy

giggedy Member

I have a mini bi-comp that I love, but if you're looking for something different, the first one I would try next is the tone press.

5. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Anyone about JANGLEBOX or DIAMOND?

6. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

I'm also looking for a decent compresser to compliment my Carl Martin Comp/Limiter pedal.So far,I'm torn between the Barber Tone Press and the Toadworks Mr. Squishy.Any thoughts or opinions on each?

Sorry,I did not mean to highjack the thread.

Ed

7. rul8agn

rul8agn Member

8. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

9. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

My house is your house...:munch

10. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I've been told thet Barber TP is very close to the Keeley except for the blend knob...anyway I have a blend knob on the comp channal of my looper so I don't feel the urge of it on the pedal...

11. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Thanks! :BEER

Ed

12. English Jim

English Jim Member

Tone Press replaced the Keeley on my pedal board. Much more transparent - if you want it to be.

13. willyboy

willyboy Member

i have a diamond (low serial # before the pot value changed) that i use near the beginning of my chain after wah and before my od's. i love it. sounds great, very smooth, natural, and transparent, and the additional eq knob lets me add or decrease treble frequencies to taste. not a bad thing to say about that box, it's still on my board 2 years later.

14. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Does it act just like a treble booster or is it softer?

15. willyboy

willyboy Member

spiritofeden,
    i have never played a treble booster so i can't compare the two in that regard. the upper frequencies that can be boosted or cut on the diamond are smooth and musical, just in the right place to restore what gets lost typically with ross type compressors like the keeley. the diamond also makes a great clean boost with the comp knob in the lower register. hope that helps.

cheers

16. awallace

awallace Member

The EQ on the Diamond is a 'tilt' EQ meaning that it slants the entire frequency response towards the treble or bass range depending on which way you turn the EQ knob. I absolutely love it for adding some sparkle to the tone or dialing it back for a darker jazzy sound. Here's the diagram of the EQ from the Diamond site:

[​IMG]

The red and green lines represent the sound at the two extremes of the EQ dial.

gtrguy

17. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

We're getting technical...:D

18. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, but it sounds a lot better than it looks on paper..

I've also got an early one, and at least one player I know of has had his 'downgraded' to the old specs, as it really is a killer pedal. The EQ alone is really well done & great for dialing in different gits/amps on the fly.

I've got a Janglebox as well, and it's kinda just the opposite of the Diamond - Really *squishy* at extreme settings & the treble boost'll tear yr head clean off. Not a subtle kinda thing, and more along the lines of an old 'scriptlogo' Dynacomp or a BOSS CS-2, if that's what you're used to.

I've still got my old Boss compressor- nothing at all like the current CS-3- well worth tracking down.. As are the early MXR compressors.

Pricey & not easy to get, the BJF PineGreen's one of my ALL-TIME favorite comps; old-school tone without the hiss & hum-*true-bypass*, too, if that's important to you.

I've also kept a Marshall ED-1 that I picked up for next to nothing, Gotta be the best bang-4-$ there's out there at present.

It's OK to have a 2nd compressor ~I've got five of 'em

and I've lost count of the OD pedals that are piled up in the studio.....:rolleyes:

19. awallace

awallace Member

I'm surprised someone would want to "downgrade" their pedal- the updated version just uses a higher value pot for the Comp control. All that does is allow for higher amounts of compression. Keeping the knob lower provides exactly the same compression as the first version.

Having said all that I don't feel the need for any addition compression...the original spec works just fine for me.

gtrguy

20. kandrus

kandrus Member

I love my Diamond Compressor. It's right in there after the wah, before the OD, and I really like it. The EQ is great, and again, can be a cool boost when the Comp is turned down a bit.

They are also making a boost, with just the EQ circuit. Should be cool!

Kyle