My 5E3 is Makin' Bacon...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by wavey63, Jun 26, 2008.

1. wavey63

wavey63 Member

SO I built my Mission 5E3 a while back and it works great. Haven't actually used it in the last few months, Any who, I pulled it out today and it is making a slight sizzle-crackle sound. It is not loud but annoying. It seems to happen when the guitar is up. Doesn't seem to change the amount of crackle with regards to amp volume.Any thoughts about where to look? If I remember correctly, it is probably a dirty joint. Just wanna be sure before I waste more time.:munch

2. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

If it is a noise that is not induced by playing, it could be a tube issue. If the crackle was happening on the decay of a note, then I would suspect a cold solder/bad connection.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  3. wavey63

wavey63 Member

Thanks teleamp.The noise is brought on by playing also but it does not happen on decay. It kinda sounds like static electricity or a dirty pot in a way. I will swap out the tubes and see if that works. Will report back after work!

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Does the noise occur with nothing plugged into the input jack?

5. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Making Bacon sounds are almost always screen resistors.

6. wavey63

wavey63 Member

Blue, i does not make the sound without a guitar. Also seems to be tied in(sort of) to the volume on the guitar. It is not the guitar though.