• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

My 5e3 Tweed Build

Desena

Silver Supporting Member
Just finished my 5e3 build. Ken Swanson (here on TGP) built this chassis. This is my second 5e3 I've got from him. His work is top notch in my opinion. On this build, we went with F&T and blue Sozos.. I went all NOS glass and I'm running a 5v4 rectifier in it right now- sounds fantastic. I went with a Celestion Blue. I opted for a slightly oversized laquered tweed cab from Bruce at R&R music out of Wisconsin. The cab didn't disappoint. It is a real nice cab. It sounds bigger and has a little more bottom end then standard size cab. The amp sounds incredible to me. Very happy with this build and I highly recommend Ken Swanson if anyone is looking for a top notch tweed build or other builds. He is also a great guy to deal with.

IceTre

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats on the fine work. I see you added some innovations-- especially the Blue speaker. And I believe the original had a 5Y3 rectifier, right? The 5V4 in theory should give you a little more headroom. Combined with the Blue, I would expect it would be a little cleaner and more highs than the typical Tweed. How does it sound? Pretty fun designing your own, eh? I built a Tweed Champ a couple months ago and will probably try a 5E3 next.

Desena

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats on the fine work. I see you added some innovations-- especially the Blue speaker. And I believe the original had a 5Y3 rectifier, right? The 5V4 in theory should give you a little more headroom. Combined with the Blue, I would expect it would be a little cleaner and more highs than the typical Tweed. How does it sound? Pretty fun designing your own, eh? I built a Tweed Champ a couple months ago and will probably try a 5E3 next.
Thanks. Yes, it's standard with a 5Y3 which I also tried and sounded great. But opted for the 5V4 which does give it a little more headroom and just seems a little tighter. Yeah it was a blast working with Ken on this and the results couldn't have been any better in my opinion.

wsaraceni

Silver Supporting Member
that looks great. i think it may be my next build. i just have to see if that chassis will fit in my cab i have now. want to keep the build pretty cheap.

balde

It seems very nice! I went with f&t on mine too. I was also going to get sozos, but in the end i got jupiter caps. I have a cele blue in mine too! it can´t get any better than that! Congratulations, it looks great!

Blues_N_Rock

Desena that is one nice tweed....must sound awesome through the Celestion Blue. One question what is that object between the large cement resistor and power tranny?

Desena

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for all the positive comments. I've had a few questions about chassis size. It is a standard size 5e3 chassis. This is my 4th tweed build that' I've had and I have to say I just don't think I can get any better than this. Very happy with this one. Again, if anyone is interested in a build like this or other builds, I highly recommend Ken Swanson here on TGP. ;)

bluesky636

Thanks for all the positive comments. I've had a few questions about chassis size. It is a standard size 5e3 chassis. This is my 4th tweed build that' I've had and I have to say I just don't think I can get any better than this. Very happy with this one. Again, if anyone is interested in a build like this or other builds, I highly recommend Ken Swanson here on TGP. ;)
I'm confused. Did you build the amp yourself or was it built for you with your input on components?

DeaconBlues

Beautiful build. I really like the looks of that chassis and wiring. I would have personally chosen another speaker. I know the Celestion Blue gets a lot of love, but it's a mid heavy speaker and the 5E3 is a mid heavy amp. I prefer something a little bit brighter like the Jensen P12Q, or Weber 12A125A. But, hey via la difference.

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
Nice amp. A 5E3 was my first build. It got me started on the addiction. Amp building is hard to quit..

5E3

Beautiful! If it sounds half as good as it looks you have a real winner there! Congrats!

Desena

Silver Supporting Member
Beautiful build. I really like the looks of that chassis and wiring. I would have personally chosen another speaker. I know the Celestion Blue gets a lot of love, but it's a mid heavy speaker and the 5E3 is a mid heavy amp. I prefer something a little bit brighter like the Jensen P12Q, or Weber 12A125A. But, hey via la difference.

I tried a Tone Tubby red alnico that sound also sounded fantastic. I'm just really digging the blue with this amp.

MLC

Looks like a nice one - congrats!!!

I built a Mission 5E3 myself a few years ago and loaded it with an Eminence Red Fang.
Love it!

Trending Topics