My '66 project comming together (pics)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by exodus, Jun 12, 2006.

1. exodus

exodus Member

Well, here are some pics of my Olympic white 1966 strat project. I got some work done this weekend, mainly the finish, although I still have to let it cure a bit before I buff it out.

I used Reranch sander and sealer (12 oz spray), and their white primer. Then I ordered olympic white acrylic lacquer, matched to a '58 Cadilac from PPG car paints in 12 oz spray cans. This I assume, is about as close as I can get to a color match to a mid 60's white strat. Finally, there is no clear coat on it, and I'm intentionally not putting one on. I want to keep the "white" color. And honestly, if this is true oly white, it really doesn't look that stark white to me. Anyway, it really wasn't as hard as I thought and I'm pretty damn happy with the outcome.

The body is a 3 lbs 11 oz Warmoth (2 piece). The bridge (and all other hardware) is the new "enhanced" Callaham. The neck will be a 9.5 radius Musikraft with a "round-lam" rosewood board. Pickups are Fralin Woodstock '69.

(remember, the body has not been buffed out yet):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AD

AD Supporting Member

Looks great. Love OW / rosewood board

3. exodus

exodus Member

Thanks man. More comming. But I'l have to have a pro set-up.

4. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    +1
    One of my favorite Strat combinations.

Looks great, exodus, anxious to see it finished!

5. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

6. exodus

exodus Member

Thanks guys!

Hopefully the neck will show up in the next few weeks. That will be plain grain maple, no tint, with just a glossy nitro clear coat. As you can tell, I'm making an NOS strat, and trying to stay as close to vintage stock specs as possible.

I'd encourage anyone who is thinking about doing their own finish to give it a shot. I'm sure there are some colors that harder than others... but all in all, this was pretty painless (thus far....)

7. exodus

exodus Member

Buffed out color coat, pickups came in today (fralin woodstock '69). I got the pre-wired version from Acme guitars--vintage setup but with a volume mod. Here is the latest mock-up.

[​IMG]

8. scottlr

scottlr Member

For my own purposes, if one wanted the Oly White to be aged, how would one go about that? I personally love the way Oly White looks aged against the guard. I'll have to look into doing this myself in the future. Looks like a fun project.

9. exodus

exodus Member

To get more of the yellow, use nitro instead of acrylic lacquer. Nitro turns yellow faster. Next, use a clear coat. You can even get tinted clear nitro to give it that instant aged lacquer look.

10. scottlr

scottlr Member