My '74 Ibanez rat tele project.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by buddyboy69, Mar 1, 2015.

1. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

I was given this guitar by an ex girlfriend around '91, its a 1974 Ibanez tele copy. this thing has been through the ringer and was one of my main gig guitars for 6 years. I have re-fretted it twice and done a fret level 2x on the jumbos as well.

It started out yellow, then it was brown and gouged out to put 3 strat pickups in it, then i re-built it and put it back to a telecaster configuration. I have been playing it for the last 8 months on just the bare wood.

I finally got around to throwing some paint on it and went for a flat/matte black finish. being that the neck is just the way i like it, well worn in with nicks, cig burns and the like, i tried my hand at a bit of light relicing to keep the body matched. i also experimented using acrylic paints and finishes, im getting tired of the lacquer and poly stink.

Fixing the bad routs and multiple holes.
    [​IMG]

There must have been 5 different sets of tuners on this at one time or another.
    [​IMG]

Put back together and set up, plays great but i didnt want to tear it apart.
    [​IMG]

I always liked the idea of a RAT Tele so here it is.
    [​IMG]

I aged the hardware using muriatic acid, too shiny for a rat. I also made an aluminum electronics plate for it, i didnt finish it so hopefully it will oxadize soon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i have been rehearsing with it without the pickguard so i can adjust the neck pickup, but i like it without it and i might keep it that way. but here is a picture with the guard anyway.
    [​IMG]

its hard to tell in the pictures, but most everything is scratched up pretty good and it looks like the heavily used guitar it really is. i am very happy with it, it is extremely responsive using just the volume and tone knobs.

I basically run it through an always on tech 21 xxl( in fuzz mode) into a HR Deville 4x10. Clean to dirty, bright to dark all done with the knobs, its quite liberating and very effective, my band mates are also blown away by how great it sounds. Were all over the map on styles so its nice not to have to tap dance anymore. At any rate, this thing does it all.

BTW, i went with GFS 50s tele set and a wilkenson Brass saddle bridge. Very impressed with the GFS's.

2. Stykbow

Stykbow Supporting Member

that thing is killer.. good job

3. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

awesome. needs stickers! those frets are ginormous!

Reminds me of Joe's:

[​IMG]

4. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

i figured id try the largest frets i could find and see what happens, now with a bit off the top they are not too high anymore and are perfect for me, just real fat. could still do a couple more fret jobs too if needed.

the pick guard was looking like that for a while. it was painted black at one time, as in this picture, and it eventually wore away like that from strumming.

[​IMG]

5. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

6. MrX

MrX Member

Me too.

7. megawzrd

megawzrd Member

Nice. Looks great.

8. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

I had one of those. I regarded it as junk since it wasn't MIA. Looking back, I really REALLY regret what I put that guitar through (a Krylon paint job, all sorts of goofy mods that a teenager does, etc....). It actually was a very good guitar-- but it was during the 80s..... it had no HBs or a Floyd..... I miss that thing in its original condition. Oddly, I was able to sell it for more than I paid for it. Those were the days indeed.

9. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I liked it this way a lot more:

[​IMG]

10. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

if the wood was nicer i would have kept it that way, alas its ply.

11. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

a quick update: ive been gigging with a country band for a month now so i decided to dress the rat up a bit. i put the guard on and made an arm rest for it. this guitar is perfect for modern country.

[​IMG]

12. lowbrow

lowbrow Member

13. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

That's cool!
    The neck pickup is shifted towards the bridge a little farther than Fender's placement. Do 5th fret harmonics ring out on the neck pickup with the Ibanez? They don't on Fenders...

14. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

well shucks ive never noticed that. ill have to check next time im plugged in. im 90% on the bridge pickup so ive never checked the neck pickup harmonics.

15. sahhas

sahhas Member

that is a nice guitar!!!!!

16. airportbar

airportbar Member

They can see those frets from space!

17. Twang!

Twang! Member

bought one of those a while back used for $99 to use as a backup. it became my primary real quick

18. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have one as well. Really underrated cool guitars with a little bit of work.

19. TTHX

TTHX Member

Very cool I think you should keep the pickguard off!

20. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

yeah i like it better without the guard, im gonna try it at this fridays gig. everyone else is all spiffy countrified and im lookin all dirty blues so i thought i might try to fit in a little better. but ill probably ditch it.

yes, the neck on this thing is top shelf, really nice and very stable. the rest has been replaced, except for the original 24+ piece body. that may be on or become the chopping block soon. hey but if it aint broke dont fix it right?

speakin of dirty blues: a recording of this guitar i did about a month ago. pretty much the neck pickup on all the parts with varying volume and tone knob.
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/buddyboy69/bright-lights[/SOUNDCLOUD]